iNosejob: A New App? ?

Apple’s iPhone has taken its motto, “there’s an app for everything,” to an entirely new level. It has released two new applications: iSurgeon and Dr. Shafer’s FAQs, that first allows people to virtually reshape their appearance and will then provide direct contact with a nationally renowned surgeon to answer any questions about various procedures.

Several freshmen were surveyed to see if they had heard of iPhone’s plastic surgery applications, which received mixed responses.

Some frowned, a few rolled or averted their eyes while others simply looked stunned. It seems that cosmetic surgery’s presence on the mainstream circuit does not settle well for some. Seeking a more professional opinion, Dr. Brian J.F. Wong, professor in the Division of Facial Plastic Surgery in the Department of Otolaryngology — Head and Neck Surgery, explains that while he himself had not heard of the applications, he found it novel. The iPhone has had a transformative effect on medicine through its myriad applications ranging from electronic versions of common medical texts to the diagnostic stethoscope.

Nowadays, radiologists often rely on Osirex to evaluate x-rays. That being said, while occupying many patients in the waiting room, the iPhone’s small screen has not replaced the more acceptable computer simulations — maintaining the laptops’ role as the bigger contributor.

The chain of doctors’ podcasts and blogs is another big factor promoting the profession. While Wong has seen patients consulting other plastic surgery applications for advice, it is clear that the specific branch of cosmetic surgery has only had a small response to the increased awareness of related iPhone applications.

Technology continues to create ingenious advancements and simultaneously evolve professions and lifestyles. The question of how cosmetic surgery is perceived in the public eye appears quite irrelevant to this matter; the thriving industry is not just the outcome of a vigorously rebounding economy for plastic surgery, but rather a reflection of how technology is taking former methods of exploring treatment outcomes in a new direction.

These applications are supposed to cater to advancing the professional fields with improved accessibility to doctors and information available to patients.

Although it can be projected as an ethical debate between science and humanity, it is evident that iPhone technology is neither propagating nor addressing a possible enhanced appeal for going under the aesthetic knife.

Because of this discrepancy, it is probably safe to say that the convenience of iPhone applications is irrelevant to the image of a middle-aged woman wanting a tummy tuck or nose job. The intention is to offer a new mode of information to cosmetic surgery candidates without necessarily impacting the mindset of Orange County society.