135

SHOUT Holds a Sleep-In to Promote Homeless Awareness

The Students for Homeless Outreach United Together (SHOUT) will be putting on an unusual event on Thursday, Nov. 19.

The 1st annual “Sleep Out” gives students a chance to get a glimpse of what it really feels like to be homeless.

Students will arrive at the flagpoles at 7 p.m. and spend the night sleeping in front of them to simulate a night in the shoes of those less fortunate.

The event is in honor of National Hunger and Homelessness Awareness Week. SHOUT is in the midst of putting together a series of fundraisers, events, food drives, etc. to promote awareness concerning the issues of poverty and homelessness in Orange County and the rest of the world.

According to Dasha Claussen, co-president of SHOUT, the event will also feature live acoustic performances, guest speakers, and service activities, which include assembling breakfast bags and hygiene kits.

For more information on this and other events, check out SHOUT’s group on Facebook.

Rat Spinal Cord Stem Cell Treatment First Approved by FDA

UC Irvine scientists have been conducting preclinical testing on rats suffering neck spinal cord injuries.

In response, some of these rats received stem cell treatment using embryonic stem cells that are destined to become spinal cord cells called oligodendrocytes.

Rats that have received the treatment showed a 97 percent success rate in restoration of limb function while rats that did not receive the treatment showed a 38 percent degeneration.

Hans Keirstead, co-director of Bill & Sue Gross Stem Cell Center and faculty member of Reeve-Irvine Research Center, collaborated with doctoral student Jason Sharp and scientists Jennifer Frame, Monica Siegenthaler and Gabriel Nistor.

Keirstead and his colleagues are working to expand this treatment method to the human population. The human trials will include people with cervical spinal cord damage.