Tough Week for Women’s Basketball

<strong>SCOTT ROEDER |</strong> Staff Photographer<br>Senior Keyonna Johnson drives to the basket against the much larger Princeton center, Devona Allgood. For UCI, this game was all bad.

SCOTT ROEDER | Staff Photographer
Senior Keyonna Johnson drives to the basket against the much larger Princeton center, Devona Allgood. For UCI, this game was all bad.

Ivy league power Princeton defeated UC Irvine 78-50 over the Thanksgiving weekend, easily overcoming an up and down Lady Anteater squad.

After having a solid road win and a close fought loss to Cal State Bakersfield, UCI looked to continue their decent play against Princeton. However, the Lady Anteaters were only able to keep it competitive for the first six minutes of the game, being down 12-10. Unfortunately, it would be the closest the Anteaters would come to reclaiming the lead.  The Tigers went on a 7-0 run with 13 minutes left in the first half increasing the lead to nine points.  The Anteaters then showed some resilience cutting the lead 15-20 at the ten minute mark.  But the Tigers forced two quick turnovers, making it a nine-point advantage in favor of the visitors, 24-15.  By the half, the Anteaters were down 26-40.

The beginning minutes of the second half saw each team trading baskets in which the Anteaters were able to cut the lead to eleven with 17:20 left, 46-35.  From that point on the Tigers didn’t look back and outscored the Anteaters 38-24 in the second half.
Throughout the game, the Tigers’ height advantage proved to be the key for victory.  They out-rebounded the Lady Anteaters 49-34, and were extremely effective in getting put-backs on the offensive glass. Matchup problems in the post hindered the Anteaters defense causing Jazmyne White to foul out of the game, and Kim Barnes to struggle with Princeton’s Devona Allgood who finished with 14 points and six rebounds.

The Tigers’ shooting from the beyond the arc was also impressive, as they finished shooting 55 percent in the first half and 41 percent for the whole game. The Lady Anteaters made only one three-pointer in the game and were unable to get in any sort of rhythm on the offensive side of the floor, finishing with a field goal percentage of 32 percent. The Tigers were coming off a loss to a good UCLA team and are now 4-1 on the season.

The Lady Anteaters were lead by senior guard Rebecca Maessen, who totaled nine points, followed by Jade Smith-Williams with eight points, three assists and three rebounds.

“The best thing to say about the game is that it’s over,” a disappointed Coach Molly Goodenbour said.

UCI figures to improve with the impending return of senior guard Mary Has, who is still out with a leg injury suffered last year, and freshman forward Cheyenne Cathey, who started the exhibition game against Concordia. Also, sophomore Loyola Marymount University transfer Mikah Maly-Karros becomes eligible to play starting in December.

Goodenbour’s team faces a tough South Florida team who enters Monday with a four-game winning streak. Both the Anteaters and Bulls faced a common opponent in the Loyola Marymount Lady Lions, and both teams won close games: UCI by three and South Florida by six in OT.

South Florida is led by Jessica Lawson and Janae Stokes who both average 16 points per game.

The Lady Anteaters will face the South Florida Bulls in what should be a competitive contest.  The game will be this Monday, November 30, 5:00 p.m. at the Bren Events Center, the start of a four game homestand.