Keeler, Cal Poly, Shoot the Lights Out at the Bren

Coming off of a solid win against UC Santa Barbara to start conference play, the UC Irvine men’s basketball team suffered a letdown against the Cal Poly Mustangs, losing 95-81 on Monday, Jan 5.

Cal Poly guard could not miss from three, pouring in 38 points, a career high for him. Meanwhile, fellow guard Kyle Odister was 8-9 from the field for 23 points. The 95 points given up by UCI was the most the team has given up all season, even more than the 89 points given up to Texas. This is especially disappointing considering that Cal Poly came into the game at 3-8 (0-1 Big West Conference) on the year.

Sophomore forward Eric Wise was a workhorse down low, dropping 25 points, while senior guard Michael Hunter led the Anteater guard play with 24 points. Unfortunately, the defense seemed a step slow the entire first half, with Cal Poly up by 16 in the first half. The second half saw a much more energized defense from UCI, which cut the Cal Poly lead down to 5, 65-60 with 8:22 left in the game. Adam Folker once again provided gritty defense and rebounding, but could not hit his free throws with any sort of consistency.

Coach Pat Douglass’ Anteaters will go on the road and try to right the ship against Cal State Northridge on Thurday, Jan 7.