NEWS IN BRIEF

In 2009, UC Irvine opened the doors to its new law school, welcoming 60 of the most hardened minds in the country. Only four percent of applicants were accepted to the revered institution, one of the lowest acceptance rates of any school nationwide.

This year, UC Irvine welcomes its class of 2013 with open arms.

But will wads of cash be clenched in the university fist as well?

With the establishment of the law school last year came a gust of rumors concerning tuition; will UCI provide full rides to all, as was done for the first class, or will students be forced to join the ranks of their peers drowning in debt?

UCI cleared up speculation on Dec. 21, releasing a statement that laid out the payment plan for incoming law students.

Pupils will pay 50 percent of the $40,000 in-state, $50,000 out-of-state tuition while the other 50 percent is to be funded by generous alumni and various law conglomerates of Southern California. Personal and living expenses will not be provided by the school.

According to Dean Erwin Chemerinsky, privately funded loans will help the school stay above water, and “will help us maintain the high quality of our student body.”

As the looming doom of health care reform peers questioningly at every American, UCI students are adjusting accordingly.

This month, Kaplan released information from a recent survey that names UC Irvine as the school with the highest medical school applicant pool.
According to Kaplan-affiliated Russell Schaffer, this comes as little surprise, as UC Irvine has a high number of applicants on the med-school track on a fairly consistent basis.

This year, however, could offer differing justifications for the submission of medical school applications.

Many students, are taking into account the high demand for health care professionals; a job that reaps serious monetary benefit.

The 324 UCI students applying to medical school this year will encounter tough opposition and even tougher competition, but our nurses, pharmacists and surgeons of tomorrow will lead us to a bright future of health care — many of them equipped with a diploma from the University of California, Irvine.

UC Irvine’s Sheldon Greenfield, M.D., and colleagues have made advancements in the field of medical research on type 2 diabetes.

Specifically, they have conducted a five-year longitudinal study comparing the cardiovascular benefits of intensive glycemic control in type 2 diabetes patients to their levels of comorbidity, the presence of one or more diseases in addition to the primary disease.

The focus group consisted of 2,613 patients who were asked to complete a questionnaire. These individuals were gathered from 101 diabetes outpatient clinics and 103 general practitioners’ clinics.

Sheldon and her colleagues found that there is a reduction in cardiovascular benefits of intensive glycemic control in type 2 diabetes patients that have high levels of comorbidity.

Their study was published in the Dec. 15 issue of “Annals of Internal Medicine.”