UCI Tames Tigers

UCD 77 vs. UCI 44

The Lady Anteaters were handed a tough loss against the UC Davis Aggies in their third conference game at the Bren Events Center.

The beginning of the contest was competitive as the Anteaters took a four-to-two lead.  The Aggies went on a six-to-nothing run, putting the Anteaters behind by six.   With five minutes gone by in the first half, the ’Eaters cut the score down to four, making the score six-to-ten.

Senior guard Rebecca Maessen helped shorten the Davis lead with a layup with eight minutes to go in the first half, closing the lead to five.  Davis would never let up from that point on.

“Their zone defense made it difficult for us to score,” said lady Anteater coach Goodenbour.

The Aggies held the ladies of Irvine to 33 percent shooting and did not allow a three-point basket from beyond the arc in the first 20 minutes of play.  Davis shot 45 percent from the field in the first half alone.

“We didn’t execute on offense or defense and they are a team that will capitalize on that,” commented Goodenbour.

Unfortunately, the second half did not go in favor of the lady Anteaters, who continued to struggle throughout the rest of the game.   Davis led in the second half by as many as 35 points.

Rebecca Maessan led the Anteaters with 11 points, followed by Jade Smith-Williams with nine points.

UCI 68 vs. UCI 57

The UC Irvine Women’s Basketball team came into last Saturday’s game against the University of Pacific determined to outplay their opponents and not let up their intensity. It is safe to say that they accomplished these goals and the result was a hard fought, physical 68-57 win against their Pacific Tigers opponents. The Anteaters shrugged off the blowout loss to UCD and started the game with renewed energy that had been lacking in their last game.

This new fired up intensity did cause one Anteater causality. Junior center Kim Barnes crashed into a group of Tigers while trying to get a loose offensive rebound and hit the ground hard. Barnes was assisted off the court at the 15:40 mark in the first half because of a leg injury. The loss of Barnes meant that some of the reserve ’Eaters would have to step up, and step up they did.

Freshman forwards Cheyenne Cathey, Jazmyne White and sophomore Kiara Belen had increased playing time because of the departure of Barnes and Maly-Karros’s foul trouble. The young trio kept UCI close to the Tigers in the first half, evidence of the 30-30 halftime score. On the night, White scored seven points, grabbed 11 rebounds and had four steals. UCI started the final period on a 9-2 run, five of those points belonging to Johnson who had 14 points for the game. The ’Eaters struck gold all night in the transition game, especially in the second half, and scored 18 fast break points compared to Pacific’s goose egg.

In a game that saw four lead changes and four tied scores, UCI led by as much as 14 points in the second half. Jade Smith-Williams had another strong outing as she led UCI in points scored with 17 and assists with six. She also had four steals. Mikah Maly-Karros had to do her damage in only 23 minutes of playing time and fouled out, but recorded a double-double with 12 points and ten boards to go along with two blocks.

After the game, Coach Molly Goodenbour was extremely pleased with her team’s performance.

“It was a really good team effort on our part. There were a lot of freshman and young players in there and they were good and we’re hopeful they’ll put themselves in successful situations next time,” Goodenbour said.

Jazmyne White said that the team was able to respond so well after the loss on Thursday because of some advice.

“Coach said come and play hard and I gave it my all. The loss motivated us and we were able to bounce back. We have to stay positive and get stops defensively,” White said.

The Anteaters will next take on Long Beach State on Thursday at the Bren at 5:00 p.m.