News In Brief

Dance Visions 2010 To Be Held at Claire Trevor

UC Irvine’s Department of Dance will be hosting Dance Visions 2010 at the Claire Trevor Theater.

The event will feature works by professional choreographers from the Claire Trevor School of the Arts’ dance faculty. Performing in the show will be a myriad of UCI’s talented dancers. Musical accompaniment will be provided by the UCI Symphony Orchestra.

Dance Vision’s choreographers include Jodie Gates, Molly Lynch, Donald McKayle and Caleb Mitchell, Sheron Wray and Pavel Zustiak.

This event runs from Feb. 4 to Feb. 7. Shows from Feb. 4 to Feb. 6 will be at 8:00 p.m. Matinee options will be available from Feb. 6 to Feb. 7 at 2:00 p.m.

All tickets can be purchased either at the Claire Trevor Theater or on ticketmaster.com. Prices are as follows: $17 for general admissions, $15 for seniors and groups and $9 for students (with ID) and children.

UC Educational Outreach Appoints New Vice President

If you’ve ever found your vision slightly blurred as your eyes slowly begin to grow heavier during bio lecture, chances are you do not stand alone.

Diane O’Dowd, developmental and cell biology professor, is well aware of the fact that many students find the heavy material and tough lectures of biological science to be difficult to grasp as a result of their tendency to be two-dimensional.

With this in mind, O’Dowd set out to solve the problem by engaging in what she describes as “garage demos.”

This name stems from the origin of many of the materials that she uses to supplement her lecture; a tennis ball for hydrogen ions, her daughter’s old wig from Halloween that stands in as a membrane vesicle, among other items of interest.

According to UCIToday, O’Dowd has been teaching for 20 years, but has only adjusted her lectures within the past five years.

She reasoned that students would not be able to sit through her 50-minute lectures of very dense material, let alone grasp the intricate concepts.

Soon enough, her approach caught on, and she began uploading tutorial videos onto YouTube for any teacher to learn tips to keep students engaged.

O’Dowd hopes to fine-tune and continue employing her technique during lecture.