New in Brief

Car Fire Causes Minor Damages
On Wednesday, Feb. 3, at 11:00 a.m., a parking and transportation official stumbled upon a car ablaze on the sixth floor of the Social Science Parking Structure.

The attendant immediately alerted emergency crews, who hurried to the scene and had the fire under control as of about 11:30 a.m.

According to Media Relations Director Cathy Lawhon, the cause was accidental, and possibly electrical.

There was minor damage to several cars. Only one vehicle was severely affected.

The damages are estimated to cost about $20,000.

Little detail is known as of now, but investigation is still going on as to the origin of the fire.

Vagina Monologues Coming To UCI
On Ring Road last week, snatches of the word “vagina” reverberated around campus.

It’s not what you think.

The reasoning behind the excessive use of the term comes in the form of the Vagina Monologues, the Eve Ensler production celebrating women and their sexuality.

According to Jacqueline Gaton,  third-year student producer of the monologues here at UCI, the VM are an effort to show women who have been victims of genital mutilation and sexual or domestic violence that they should not feel helpless.

This year, Eve Ensler herself will be in attendance at the performance, which is being held on Sunday, Feb. 14 in the Bren Events Center.

Not only will Ensler be performing, she will also be giving a speech on behalf of the women of the Democratic Republic of Congo, who are lost to rape and domestic violence.

To date, the V-day movement has raised over $70 million and educated many about violence and aggression against women, and the efforts to end it.