OT Dooms Anteaters

On Saturday, Feb. 6, the Lady Anteaters took on the CSU Bakersfield Roadrunners in a hard-fought 72-78 overtime loss. Coming off of two big wins last week, their momentum was unable to carry them past the Roadrunners, who beat them by two in Bakersfield earlier this year. They led for much of the game, but Bakersfield was able to force a comeback and win due to stellar free throw shooting in overtime. Mikah Maly-Karros was unable to replicate last week’s career-best 35 points, but she still earned herself a double-double with a game leading 24 points and 17 rebounds in only 29 minutes on the court. The sophomore forward was a definite presence on the floor, commanding a triple team from CSUB on more than one occasion.

“I didn’t think we got a lot of the calls. As a player it is my job to get through that and I didn’t do a very good job,” Karros said after fouling out with 2:32 left in the second half.

The Anteaters fought hard throughout the first 20 minutes and despite two lead changes, their 39.4 percent shooting was able to put them over the top of the Roadrunners, who were shooting at 26.7 percent.

At the start of the second half UCI led by eight points, but Bakersfield was able to cut the gap to two after three minutes had elapsed. Seeing the Roadrunners closing in, the Lady Anteaters went on a 10-point run that put them comfortably ahead.

They were able to maintain this lead until Amber Williams of Bakersfield drilled a three-pointer to tie the game with 39.4 seconds on the clock. Without Mikah Maly-Karros on the court due to her fouling out, the Anteaters were unable to put themselves ahead with only seconds remaining in the game.

After Smith-Williams’ missed the ’Eaters final lay-up, the Roadrunners received the ball with 7.8 seconds remaining and the game tied. Phynique Allen attempted to weave through three UCI defenders towards the basket, but was unable to penetrate the strong defense of the Lady Anteaters.

After some unfortunate bounces in overtime, leading to two UCI turnovers, Katie and Amber Williams of Bakersfield were both able to put in lay-ups to once again capture the lead. UCI would not be able to tie the game again, and a streak of free throws would put the Roadrunners out of reach.

“We didn’t take advantage of opportunities that we had,” Head Coach Molly Goodenbour said. “We didn’t make great decisions.”

The Lady Anteaters (8-15, 5-5 Big West) will next be facing Cal State Fullerton (10-12) on Wednesday, Feb. 10 in Titan Gym. This will be the first of six straight games in the Big West that will do much to determine their fate for the Big West Conference Tournament.