SPORTS IN BRIEF

Men’s Basketball   Loses on the Road, Wins at Home

Men’s basketball broke a four-game losing streak last Saturday night with a 76-63 win against Cal State Bakersfield at the Bren Events Center. Eric Wise led UCI with 21 points, grabbed seven rebounds and had four assists. Darren Moore added 16 points and tied his career high with nine rebounds as the Anteaters improved their record to 10-14. Michael Hunter scored 15 points, hitting 3 of 7 threes and added four assists.

Bakersfield’s Donavan Bragg scored 25 points and Stephon Carter added 12. Bakersfield dropped to 5-17. UCI built a 33-22 halftime lead behind 11 points from Wise and 10 by Hunter. UCI led by as much as 20 points in the second half and held Bakersfield to 32.1 percent from the field for the game.

“Darren Moore gave us a lot of energy tonight,” UCI Head Coach Pat Douglass said. “He played a heck of a game.” The ’Eaters return to Big West Conference play Wednesday night hosting Cal State Fullerton at 7:05.

Men’s Tennis Match Against SDSU Undecided

The UC Irvine men’s tennis team was shut out, 7-0, by No. 1 USC last Tuesday in Los Angeles. Senior Shimpei Suzuki was the lone Anteater to win a set on the day as he lost in a third set tiebreaker to Jaak Poldma 5-7, 7-6, 10-7 in No. 3 singles.

The Anteaters then tied No. 54 San Diego State, 3-3, last Friday afternoon before rain caused a suspension in play. The match will resume Tuesday, February 9 at 4:30 p.m. in San Diego. Senior Zac Tsai will conclude his match against Andre Feliz in the No. 4 match. The match is tied 1-1 in a tiebreaker in the third set.