Sports in Brief

Women’s Basketball: Close But No Cigar, Lose On the Road

The women’s basketball team suffered two heart-breaking last-second losses last week. The first one occurred on Wednesday, Feb. 10 in Fullerton. Cal State Fullerton’s Mya Olivier hit a baseline jumper with 1.6 seconds on the clock to pull out the 76-74 win. Sophomore Mikah Maly-Karros had a game-high 20 points and nine rebounds. Seniors Rebecca Maessen and Keyonna Johnson each added 12 points.

UCI was downed by UC Davis, 74-71, when Davis’ Heidi Heintz made a 3-point play with 15.8 left in the game. Maly-Karros led the ’Eaters with a career high 34 points and 15 rebounds. The three point loss was nonetheless a marked improvement from an earlier match against Davis at the Bren Events Center when the Anteaters lost by 33. UCI is now 8-17 and 5-7 in conference play, but has shown the ability to compete with anyone in the conference this season. The Lady Anteaters return home to take on UC Riverside on Feb. 18 at 7 p.m.

Men’s Volleyball Splits Pair in Northern California

The men’s volleyball team split last week’s schedule with a win against Pacific and a loss against No. 5 Stanford.

Carson Clark recorded 20 kills in the 30-21, 30-28, 29-31, 30-22 winning effort for the No. 11 UCI team against the Pacific Tigers.
The next night, UCI fell 3-1 (30-25, 21-30, 30-28, 30-26) against No. 5 Stanford in Palo Alto. Clark once again starred, recording 28 kills to lead all players. Jordan DuFault had 15 kills and 13 digs. UCI now stands at  7-8 overall, 3-7 in the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation.

Come Out to Support Men’s Volleyball; Take On No. 1 Northridge!

Defending National Champions UCI returns home to host No. 1 Cal State Northridge Wednesday at 7 p.m. at the Bren Events Center. Free In-n-Out coupons will be given out to the first 100 students, as well as other giveaways throughout the match.

UCI fell to Northridge earlier this season at Northridge (31-29, 27-40, 30-27, 30-28) in a closely fought duel, but has shown the capability to beat anybody in the nation.

The Matadors (11-2 overall, 8-2 in conference play) are off to their best start in school history, but were out-hit, out-blocked, and out-dug by the Anteaters in the first match of the year.