News in Brief

UCSD PIKE Frat Under Scrutiny

On Feb. 15, UC San Diego’s Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity made the grave mistake of creating an exceedingly controversial Facebook event for their party hidden under the guise of a “celebration” of Black History Month in February.

The event, called “Compton Cookout,” advertised intense stereotypes, encouraging attendees to dress up as “ghetto chicks” who “usually have gold teeth, start fights and drama, and wear cheap clothes — they consider Baby Phat to be high class and expensive couture. They also have short, nappy hair and usually wear cheap weaves.”

They did not stop there, claiming to “be serving 40’s, kegs of natty, dat Purple Drank … chicken, Kool-Aid, and of course watermelon … keep strapped, get yo shine on, and join us for a day party to be remembered — or not.”

The contention has now hit national headlines; the LA Times wrote an opinion piece on the subject, as well as coverage from the Los Angeles Urban League, KTLA and even Essence Magazine.

Alpha Phi’s Red Dress Gala

In support of American Heart Association’s “Go Red For Women,” UC Irvine’s Panhellenic sorority Alpha Phi hosted their Fourth Annual Red Dress Gala.

The event took place on Feb. 20, 2010 at the Hyatt Regency Newport Beach. Amongst the 400 guests who attended the event were Brian Clarke, Director of Greek Life and Rameen Talesh, Dean of Students.

Also attending were two speakers from the American Heart Association and the executive director of the Alpha Phi Foundation in Illinois.

The evening consisted of a three-course dinner, silent and live auctions, raffles, games and dancing. Prizes featured in the live auction included a sleepover for two adults and two children at the San Diego Wild Animal Park, a week-long stay in Bandon Dunes, Oregon, a handmade Alpha Phi quilt and an event truck with all-you-can-eat Taco Dawg.

The philanthropy raised $38,418 at the event itself but the final count is anticipated to be $40,000 – an increase from the $30,000 they raised the previous year.