Sports in Brief

Disappointing Week for Men’s Basketball

Men’s basketball went into their game at UC Riverside knowing that a win would all but lock up an appearance in the Big West Tournament. However, the Highlanders kept their season alive by trumping UCI 74-57 on Wednesday.

Eric Wise led the Anteaters with 22 points and Darren Moore had 10 points and nine rebounds, but the rest of the Anteater squad was largely absent. Michael Hunter only played 16 minutes despite not being injured.

Returning home on Saturday, UCI defeated Marist College of the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference 66-65 in their BracketBuster match-up.

With a tie ball game under a minute to play, Atkinson made a nice one-handed jumper to put the Anteaters ahead. After a Marist turnover on the next possession, Hunter iced the game with two free throws to put UCI up four. A last second three-pointer from Daye Kaba made up the final score.

Wise and Moore both recorded double-doubles, and Zack Atkinson added 13 points and six boards. Moore continued his determined play. He has had 44 points and 40 rebounds in his last three games.

If UCI is to make the Big West Tournament, they absolutely need to beat Cal State Northridge in Saturday’s homecoming game at the Bren. They also have away games remaining against Cal Poly and UC Santa Barbara.

Men’s Tennis on Four Game Win Streak

Close wins have been the name of the game for UCI men’s tennis this season. Last week, UCI defeated the University of Nevada Las Vegas 4-3 and the University of Nevada 5-2, and is

currently on a four match winning streak.

The No. 66 Anteaters (7-2, 1-0 Big West) will next take on UCLA on Tuesday, Feb. 23.