402

We all have friends that love certain movies that we just don’t get. The girls that love the chick flicks. The dudes that will watch that awful movie for that one cute girl in it. The other guys that watch those action movies that have no plots whatsoever. The people that will catch every midnight opening of Pixar movies. (These last two groups of people are also known as badasses, by the way.) One of the more fascinating categories of people, though, are people that watch horror movies. Not just any gimmicky, run of the mill take-your-girlfriend-with-you horror movie, but a real gruesome movie, the type of movie that doesn’t even allow for the usual acceptable horror humor. Yeah, it’s gross.

I’m not gonna lie, I’m a sucker for these movies. I’ve heard questions from a long list of people asking why I would enjoy these movies. What makes me such a huge fan of the “Saw” films? How do I even know that the “Hills Have Eyes” had a sequel? Why did I bother watching “Hostel?”

Granted, I’ll never have a really appropriate response to that last question, but otherwise, gory movies in general are an adrenaline rush. I suppose it’s sort of surreal: seeing something so far from reality really lets you disconnect from the stress of life for a couple hours. While that certain trailer scene from the aforementioned “Hills Have Eyes” was one of the more excruciating ordeals I’ve ever been through in my life, it’s also at that point where you can disconnect and accept the fact that you’re watching a movie because it’s so over the top. It’s like being on an overactive sugar rush: once you catch yourself acting like a hyperactive idiot, you can accept the fact that it’s the sugar talking, not you. Then you’re pretty much free to act as stupid as you want.

Seeing these movies in theaters adds to the experience, too. Well, if you’re lucky enough to go to a theater that checks IDs, because it’s pretty irritating being in a gory movie when there are 12-year-olds giggling in the front row and yelling random inside jokes that no one cares about. Watching people react is pretty great. Movies with constant gore become nearly as suspenseful as a minimalist classic like “Paranormal Activity” just because people are on the edge of their seats for different reasons. While a sudden twitch in a suspense movie might make you worry for a character’s safety, a twitch in a gore movie makes you anxious for a character’s demise. It’s like you expect it to happen, every time it doesn’t, you’re surprised. That makes the beginning of gory films even better, when sudden smacks on a window throws off an audience already prepared for the worst.

Sounds pretty demented, doesn’t it? Is there something wrong with these people? Of course not, they just like being entertained. Entertainment is tough to define from person to person. As confusing as it is to be a fan of gore, I’d be just as confused about old French movies that run with style over substance. But hey, whatever floats your boat, it’s all good. Stepping outside from the realism of much modern day cinema can be a good thing. Sometimes you don’t feel like analyzing something that’s just like your life, you do that every day, anyways. Reminders of your own normal life aren’t really the escape you look for in a movie when you need some time away from it all. It can be more fun to figure out how that one dude was locked in the safe for the entire movie.

Ok, it might not be for everyone, but you’d be surprised how unrealistic things give you a certain unexpected relief. So go on, give it a try. A little gore never hurt anybody. Well, not us, at least.