17 Arrested For Sit-In In Aldrich Hall

401
401

On Wednesday Feb. 24, 2010 at approximately 9:30 a.m., 17 members of the UC Irvine community entered the fifth floor of Aldrich Hall and held a sit-in that would last until 11:20 a.m., when the first arrests began. The group, composed of 12 undergraduate students, two graduate students, and three service workers, sat in a row along the hallway leading to the Chancellor’s office, chanting and pounding the walls. In the meantime, a coalition of roughly fifty service workers and both graduate and undergraduate students assembled outside of the administration building to hold a rally on Ring Road. Student protesters on the outside distributed a list of demands, with issues ranging from outrage against the recent wave of racist activity across the UC system, namely UCSD’s “Compton Cookout” and an article recently published in the New University, the need to in-source service workers on campus along with other worker’s rights concerns, and a demand for a reassessment of the November 2009 32 percent fee increase. After the 17 inside were arrested and moved downstairs around noon, the coalition moved to Periera Dr. and overturned dumpsters in the street in an attempt to form a blockade. The last of the 17 arrested were released at 2:30 p.m.