News in Brief

Senior students Jacky So and our very own New U photographer Scott Roeder are crowned Homecoming Queen and Alex yee | Staff PhotographerKing during the UCI vs. Cal State Northridge basketball game on Sat. Feb. 27.

Alex yee | Staff Photographer
Senior students Jacky So and our very own New U photographer Scott Roeder are crowned Homecoming Queen and King during the UCI vs. Cal State Northridge basketball game on Sat. Feb. 27.

ASUCI Holds Another Successful Homecoming

February 23, 2010 marked was the start of Homecoming week with five candidates competing to be the Queen and five candidates competing to be the King.

This week-long event occurred at noon in the Student Center Terrance where candidates racked up points during each event when supporters put their names down and voted on the Web site.

ASUCI opened the Web site for voting on Monday, February, 22 at 9 a.m. and closed on Friday, February 26 at 3 p.m.  The King, Scott Roeder and Queen, Jacqueline So were crowned during halftime of the Homecoming basketball game.

The first event, called Homecoming Court Jeopardy, tested the candidates’ knowledge of the campus from various categories ranging from sports to statistics.

“The event was for fun and it brings people to learn about campus knowledge. Get people out and engage,” said Eric Scholthan, fourth-year sociology major.

Many people just walked through and paid no attention to the stage.

“Last year it was in a closed building where it was clear that the people in chairs were there to support,” said April Lee, a fourth-year biological sciences major.  “It was more close-knit. They should have put chairs in front of the chairs but the distractions of people going back and forth.”

The second event, Court Booth Competition, showed a personal side of each candidate having items representing themselves and their involvement. The event was more engaging and active, with a DJ Battle on the center stage with various foods to choose from at the Anteater Bite.

“It’s never too late to get involved,” said Maureen Fulgencio, fourth-year biology major and Homecoming Court candidate offered words of wisdom to students.

The third event, the Obstacle Course, had candidates go through a course showing the silly side and a fun event for the student body. While the last event, the Court Talent Show, displayed the talented side of each candidate. Talents ranged from ripping apart phone books to singing songs while playing an instrument.

The end of the week of Homecoming came with the announcement that Scott Roeder was named King and Jacqueline So was named Queen. The excitement continued with a close game ending with the men’s basketball team defeating CSU Northridge with the score of 79-74.

Chile’s Earthquake Disaster Leaves At Least 300 Dead

Early Saturday, Feb. 26, Chile was struck by an 8.8-magnitude earthquake, ripping buildings to shreds, causing highways and bridges to collapse, and leaving at least 300 people dead, according to the local news service.

Fallen buildings, panicked citizens, floods, and subsequent aftershock fires have left Chile in shambles.

According to the New York Times article concerning the disaster, Adela Galaz, a 59-year-old cosmetologist claimed to to be, “terrible, terrible,” and only could muster that she was “grateful to be alive.”

The quake is said to be the fifth largest in the world since 1900, and the country experienced more than twelve significant aftershock shakes.

According to the same New York Times article, the U.S. has offered aid to Chile but the country has yet to request official aid.