Baseball Will Always Be America’s Pastime, Bar None

568
568

Baseball is the greatest sport in America. This might seem like a bold statement, but I do not care. Baseball has been played professionally in the U.S. longer than any other sport. “America’s Pastime” has and will forever be the most loved sport in the U.S.

There are Major and Minor League baseball teams sprinkled all around this country that allow the chance for anyone who wants to watch baseball to do so. The NFL does not offer this, and the NHL and NBA do this at a much smaller rate. The minor league teams also help encourage their fans to become fans of the bigger Major League team that they represent. Other than the NHL, MLB is the only organization to include non-U.S. teams such as the Toronto Blue Jays. America has exported the game of baseball around the world to countries like China, Japan, Mexico, Cuba and the Dominican Republic. I know that there is a lot of argument about how soccer is the most international sport, but I don’t care and I don’t care too much for soccer. Baseball is more complex and dynamic than soccer will ever be.

Baseball also offers more games played per season than any other sport. Major League Baseball offers a 162-game regular season that lasts for about half the year. Not only does this allow for more opportunities to watch a game, but the large amount of games played means that most teams stay in the race for the playoffs a lot longer than other teams in other sports. Even if your team has a bad month or two, they can still turn things around and be a contender.

Baseball’s icons and Hall-of-Famers match up against any other great player from another sport. While basketball has Michael Jordan and hockey has Wayne Gretzky, baseball has numerous players who can be considered the faces of the sport. I argue that Babe Ruth is the most memorable and iconic sporting figure of all time. He became a larger-than-life man, who not only was (if not still is) the greatest hitter of all-time, but was a Hall-of-Fame pitcher. Babe Ruth’s feats are still talked about today in a way that will ensure that he will always be remembered. Baseball’s franchises can also be considered the most historic and legendary franchises in any other sport. Who else can compare to the greatness of the Yankees and Dodgers?

Another reason why baseball looms large over all other sports in America is because liking a certain baseball team is often a family tradition. A lot of baseball fans have adopted their families’ favorites that sometimes go back a hundred years. I am a fourth-generation Dodger fan. No sport in the U.S. can boast the tradition of fan loyalty quite like baseball can.

Baseball has its mighty hooks in the entertainment industry. Hell, most sports movies are about baseball. I dare someone to tell me that they did not enjoy “The Natural,” “Bull Durham” and even “A League of Their Own.” Classic TV shows like “Mr. ED,” “The Beverly Hillbillies” and “The Munster’s” started a trend in the ’50s and ’60s where they would bring in Major Leaguers to star on their shows. Do any other sports have a theme song like “Take Me Out to The Ball Game?” Didn’t think so.

I bet that the one piece of sports clothing that the majority of the population has is a MLB baseball cap with a team logo on it. I doubt the same could be said for a soccer or hockey jersey. You can even look at peoples’ cars. More often than not, if a car has something that has a sports logo on it, it is usually a MLB team’s logo.

You know baseball is the American Pastime when President Barack Obama throws out the first pitch at the Washington Nationals’ Opening Day. President Obama doesn’t throw a football for the Redskins or drop a puck for the Capitals, now does he?

I know my thoughts are a bit incoherent and ludicrous, but I believe, like many others do, that baseball is the perfect sport. There is always something happening and teams are more equal, which means anyone can win and anyone can lose. Babe Ruth said it best: “Baseball was, is, and always will be to me the best game in the world.”