Sports in brief

Track & Field has Strong Showing at Big West Challenge Cup

Anteaters Charles Jock and Tim Murphy won individual events in the Big West Challenge Cup at Anteater Stadium Friday night.

Jock won the 400 meters in 46.94, a time that ties him with Darryl McGee for fifth all-time at UCI. Fellow Anteater George Hernandez finished third.

Tim Murphy placed first in the 800 meters with a 1:49.49 time, which is the seventh-fastest time in UC Irvine history.

UCI’s 4×100 relay of Hermes Ongsansoy, George Hernandez, Kevin Palmer and Joe Peterson won in 41.47 as the 4×400 relay of Hernandez, Murphy, Jacob Yowell and Jock in 3:11.83.

Justin Carter finished second in the triple jump at 47-1 3/4 and was third in the long jump.

UCI sophomore Amber Middleton placed second in the 100-meter hurdles and the 400 hurdles. Vanessa Houston finished second in the 400 meters.

UC Santa Barbara won the team title with 236 points, Cal State Fullerton was second with 168, Long Beach third with 120.50 and UCI fourth with 117.50.

Women’s Tennis Goes One and One

UCI was defeated by TCU last Wednesday, 5-2.

UCI rebounded and defeated no. 64 San Diego 6-1 last Friday afternoon in a non-conference at Anteater Tennis Stadium.

Sophomore Courtney Byron defeated Juliette Coupez 6-2, 6-1 in the number one singles match.

UCI will close out their regular season this weekend on the road. They will first take on UC Davis on Apr. 17th.