320

UCI Vice Chancellor Gomez Announces Retirement

After a stunning 38-year run as Vice Chancellor, Manuel N. Gomez will be retiring from the position at the end of August.

Gomez has carried an impressive career here at UCI. Starting out as a graduate student in social ecology, Gomez has since established a number of partnership programs, including STEP, the Center for Educational Partnerships, the Silk Road exchange with China and the Olive Tree Initiative, which addresses issues and topics concerning the Middle East.

In addition to this, Gomez began the Dalai Lama Scholarship and maintained his unwavering commitment to scholastic endeavors and encouraging the student to engage and succeed. According to a statement released by Chancellor Michael Drake, Gomez is “a valued colleague for all who have had the privilege of working with him.” He will be surely missed, as his legacy lives on.

Stroke Awareness Picnic to Come to UCI May 8

On Saturday, May 8, UC Irvine will be hosting the first annual Stroke Awareness Picnic. It will take place from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. in Aldrich Park. The event is sponsored by the Orange County Stroke Rehab Network to provide those who have been involved with stroke, directly or indirectly, an opportunity to discuss and interact with people who have shared a similar experience.

Food and drinks will be provided at the event but individuals attending are encouraged to bring appetizers or desserts to share with other participants.

For those who have survived stroke(s), the organization asks for submissions of success stories. These can be e-mailed to stroke@uci.edu. Some will be invited to read their stories at the event and have their stories posted on their Web site www.ocsrn.com.

To all interested, RSVP via e-mail to stroke@uci.edu with an e-mail subject reading “RSVP May Picnic.”

Arthritis Walk May 16 at UC Irvine to Raise Money

The Arthritis Foundation will be hosting the Arthritis Walk in Orange County on Sunday, May 16 at UC Irvine. The walk is intended to increase awareness about arthritis and help raise money for research to find a cure.

The event is open to all community members. Registration for the event starts at 7 a.m. but the actual walk begins at 9 a.m.. Participants have the option of partaking in either the one-or three-mile walk.

The event will feature live entertainment, food, drinks, awards and prizes. There is no cover charge for participating. People are welcome to bring dogs on leashes.
For more information regarding the event, to register for the walk or to help fundraise online, call (714) 436-1623 or visit www.ocarthritiswalk.org.