Bergman Baffles Davis, UCI Sweeps

The UC Davis baseball team proved to be the perfect antidote for a UC Irvine team that had hit the skids in conference play. Christian Bergman was the main benefactor of the weekend, as he worked his magic in a complete game shutout of the Aggies on Saturday, facing the minimum 27 batters. The senior pitcher had the outing of his career as he gave up a hit to the leadoff batter in the first before erasing him on a stolen base attempt, and then proceeded to retire 26 straight Davis batters.

UCI 9 SDSU 4

After a one-inning start from pitcher/center fielder extraordinaire Matt Summers, freshman Evan Brock continued his emergence as an excellent Tuesday option by only giving up one hit in four innings, picking up the third win of his young ’Eater career.

The ’Eater offense took off in the eighth and ninth innings, scoring four runs to make a 5-4 affair into a 9-4 final score.

Catcher Ronnie Shaeffer had a strong overall game, picking up three RBI’s and nabbing both Aztecs attempting to steal.

Andy Lines, Kyle Hooper, Ruben Orosco and Kyle Necke pieced together two scoreless innings, with Necke recording his sixth save of the season. The Anteater bullpen is finally showing signs of coming around.

UCI 8 UC Davis 1

Daniel Bibona was classic Daniel Bibona in the series opener, striking out eight while giving up only three hits in eight innings. The All-American Anteater ace only faced one over the minimum, and improved to 7-2 on the season with a sparkling 2.28 era.

The top of the ’Eater lineup, Sean Madigan, Casey Stevenson and Brian Hernandez, combined for 10 hits. Redshirt junior Madigan had two RBI and two runs scored as he continued to cement his role as the Anteater lead-off hitter. Senior second basemen Stevenson one-upped Madigan by getting four hits, three RBI, with two runs scored. The number three hitter Hernandez had three hits and three RBI as well.

UCI 13 UC Davis 0

Christian Bergman’s gem of a start lowered his season ERA from over 6 to 4.62. After Davis center fielder Daniel Cepin led off the first with a single, Bergman basically pitched a perfect game, retiring 26 straight batters without giving up a hit or walk.

The senior pitcher improved to 4-2 on the season, striking out six on the game. Remarkably, Bergman got better as the game went on, as he did not allow a ball out of the infield after a fly ball out to right to lead off the sixth.

Madigan, Stevenson and Hernandez led a collective effort from the Anteater offense by collecting two hits each, with first basemen Jeff Cusick adding two of his own.

UCI 10 UC Davis 4

Sunday’s finale represented much of the same, as starter Eric Pettis went eight innings giving up three runs for his sixth win of the year.

Shortstop D.J. Crumlich joined the fun offensively, going 2 for 3 with two runs and an RBI. Cusick hit his sixth home run of the season, going 2 for 4 to raise his season average to a ridiculous .396. Cusick, Hernandez and Ronnie Shaeffer combined for eight RBI’s, as the Anteaters improved to 24-13, 8-4 in the Big West.

Davis dropped to 16-19, 2-7 in the Big West after getting swept. UCI next takes on UCLA in Los Angeles on Tuesday before hosting Cal State Bakersfield for a weekend series at Anteater Ballpark.