174

UCI Greeks Gave Back at Different Causes April 21-25

All chapters of the Panhellenic Association (PHA) and the Interfraternity Council (IFC) participated in Relay for Life, Care-A-Thon and Take Back the Night at UC Irvine from April 21-25, 2010 to benefit the American Cancer Society, the UCI Medical Center Neonatal Intensive Care Unit and Sexual Assault Awareness. The Greek organizations adopted the slogan, “Get Your Service On” to describe the 38 hours spent over the span of one week serving the community.

At Take Back the Night, the PHA and IFC booth focused on promoting taking action rather than being a bystander when a sexual assault is occurring. The booth was named “Spot It and Stop It” and  distributed informational flyers and promotional chapsticks. All students who approached the booth were asked to make a pledge to intervene and stop sexual assault rather than ignoring the crime.

Relay For Life and Care-a-Thon simultaneously occurred with support from the Greek chapters in each of the events.

All Greek chapters set up booths around Aldrich Park to educate the public on different types of cancer.  Members walked laps throughout the entire 24-hour period of Relay For Life and danced for the entire 12 hours of Care-a-Thon to show support for each cause.

UCI Participates in Earth Day from April 19-22

Who wouldn’t want to celebrate love for their mother?

From Monday, April 19 to Thursday, April 22, on-campus organizations celebrated Earth Week, a three-day bash in observance of the home we all share.

According to Kevin Schlunegger, sustainability commissioner of ASUCI, the week was put on by a coalition of the sustainable clubs on campus “that represent different niches in the sustainable world.”

In addition to tabling all week to raise awareness for Earth Week, organizations put together events like a “Trash-ion show” in which participants wore clothing made of recyclable material to call attention to clean energy reform.

The Starbucks on campus even gave free drinks to anyone who purchased a mug in honor of Earth Day to save paper and plastic cups and encouraging customers to try reusable products.

In addition, a film screening of the movie “Tapped,” a Green Campus-sponsored Career Panel, and free, local cupcake distribution were included to add to the festivities leading up to Earth Day on April 22.