Sports in brief

Two UCI Volleyball Players Named All-Americans

UC Irvine sophomore opposite Carson Clark was named American Volleyball Coaches Association (AVCA) Division I Men’s Volleyball first team All-American, while junior outside hitter Jordan DuFault earned second team accolades.

Clark becomes the sixth UCI player of all-time to be named to the first team after earning second team recognition. Clark is third nationally in kills with a 5.04 average and leads the nation in service aces with 50.

DuFault has been named second team All-American for the second consecutive year. He was second on the team in kills (4.06) and points (4.70) and lead the team with 243 digs.

UCI is the only team to boast two players who have recorded 30 or more kills in a match this season. DuFault had 30 versus USC in the first meeting and Clark had 30 versus the Trojans in the second meeting.

Bergman Honored Nationally For Davis Outing

Christian Bergman was named the “Louisville Slugger” National Player of the Week by Collegiate Baseball and the Big West Conference Pitcher of the Week after a dominant pitching performance against UC Davis on April 24. He was also named to the College Baseball Foundation’s National All-Star Lineup, was named a National Player of the Week by CollegeBaseballInsider.com and voted a Primetime Performer by CollegeBaseball360.com.

Bergman faced the minimum 27 batters in a one-hit, complete-game shutout to lead UC Irvine to a series win over the Aggies. Bergman gave up a leadoff hit in the bottom of the first and, following a run-down on the stolen base attempt, proceeded to retire the next 26 batters he faced en route to the win. He needed just 89 pitches to shutout the Aggies.

ASICS/Steve Scott Invitational Held at Anteater Stadium

UC Irvine posted four top-five finishes Saturday in the first day of the ASICS/Steve Scott Invitational at Anteater Stadium.

Katherine Nielsen finished second in the women’s 3000-meter steeplechase with a time of 11:26.89 and Brennen Halliday was fourth in the men’s steeplechase with a Big West-qualifying mark of 9:36.01. Victorr Bonilla placed fifth in the men’s 5,000 meters in 15:02.64 while Kristi Fryar was fifth in the women’s pole vault at 11-9.