Sports in brief

Women’s Volleyball Announced Two New Recruits

Paula Weishoff is adding more pieces to her program as she continues to build up the UCI women’s volleyball program. Aly Squires and Mary Carls have accepted offers of admission to UCI for the fall of 2010. Squires was a three-time Most Valuable Player at Santa Ynez High School. She was also voted the MVP of the Los Padres League three times after leading her team to appearances in the CIF quarterfinals and semifinals.

Carls is a 5-9 setter from Marymount High School, where she helped the team win Sunshine League titles in 2006 and 2007, when the team went undefeated. She was ranked fifth in the SCVA 18-and-Under Top 20 Setters in 2008.

Updated Track and Field Results, Jock Wins Again

Sophomore Charles Jock won the 400 meters on May 1 at the ASICS/Steve Scott Invitational. He ran a career-best 46.72 at Anteater Stadium to improve on his No. 5 time in UCI history. Tim Murphy was second in the 800 meters in 1:50.26.

UCI’s 4×400 relay of Jacob Yowell, George Hernandez, Murphy and Jock finished first in a season-best time of 3:11.56. The Anteaters’ 4×400 relay of Amber Middleton, Sanmisola George, Breeanca Fleming and Vanessa Houston finished second with a time of 46.50.

UCI Tennis’ NCAA Tournament Match-Ups Announced

The UCI men’s tennis team will face Cal in the opening round of the NCAA Division I Men’s Tennis Championship Saturday, May 15 at 9:00 a.m. at the Los Angeles Tennis Center.

Head Coach Trevor Kronemann was named Big West Coach of the Year. Sophomores Sam Gould and Fabian Matthews were named All-Big West first team in singles. The doubles team of Zac Tsai and Steven Henderson was named All-Big West first team.

The UCI women’s tennis team will play Mississippi Friday, May 14 at 10 a.m. at Georgia Tech in Atlanta. Women’s coach Mike Edles was named Big West Coach of the Year, his fourth such honor of his career. Sophomore Courtney Byron was named to the All-Big West First Team.