Student Fees Fund UCI Anti-Semitism Week

The Muslim Student Union (MSU) typically receives approximately $6,500 from student fees to host their annual Anti-Semitism Week on the UC Irvine campus, while students face yearly increases in tuition and fees. Especially shocking is that the university administration does not allow pro-Israel groups to reserve meaningful space on campus to confront MSU’s politically-driven Islamist ideology.

On Ring Road, near the flagpoles, many anti-Israel students (most of whom are Muslim) will yell for the destruction of the only secular democracy in the Middle East. Given past events, it is likely that the most extreme students will dress in solidarity as terrorist fighters, bearing garments worn by Hamas and Hezbollah jihadists. If the past repeats itself, Muslim students will openly threaten Jewish students in front of indifferent police officers.

In May 2008, a Jewish student was followed to her car and surrounded by six MSU members. In the presence of a police officer they jumped onto the hood of her car and photographed her face, vehicle identification number and license plate. This criminal act was justified by the UCIPD as the “culmination of a tit-for-tat ethnic squabble.”

As in years past, your $6,500 will likely fund posters that spread the false quote of the first Israeli Prime Minister stating that Jews must use terror tactics to chase out Arabs during Israel’s 1948 War of Independence. Your $6,500 will fund a speech by Amir Abdel Malik Ali, who in 2007 gave a talk on our campus titled “UC Intifada.” Malik Ali is a top leader of the As-Sabiqun movement, whose goals are to “enable Islam to take complete control of our lives, and ultimately, the lives of all human beings on Earth.” If you attend his speech this week you might hear that “the Israelis were in control of 9/11, [which] was staged to give an excuse to wage war against Muslims around the world.” Additionally, don’t be surprised if Malik Ali says “there will be peace when [the Jews] are gone and when we are in control again.”

Your $6,500 will allow Norman Finkelstein (a man who was denied tenure at a tier three university) to lecture students at a tier one university on why he stated “my chief regret is that I wasn’t even more forceful in publicly defending Hezbollah.” Your $6,500 will enable Hatem Bazian to make statements such as “there is no evidence of a major [ancient] Jewish civilization” when he discusses the roots of the conflict, despite archeological evidence to the contrary. If this wasn’t enough, you can also listen to others explain social inequalities in Israel, despite the fact that Muslim Israelis have the same rights as Jewish Israelis and that these 1.2 million Muslims have more rights than Muslims in any Arab state.

Your $6,500 will promote a fabricated view of Israel’s actions. Despite desperate pleas, the UCI administration has refused, as in years past, to allow pro-Israel groups to reserve adequate space on campus during these events to dispute exaggerated claims. In addition, while the administration has a history of condemning specific acts considered hurtful by other groups, they refuse to condemn any speech if it is deemed anti-Semitic.

The climate of a university campus deteriorates after false claims are presented without the ability for their sources to be challenged. Considering the nature of these events and the lack of administrative response, it is no wonder why UC Irvine, one of the highest ranked research universities in the world, is one of the most viral brewing grounds for hatred in our country. To see shocking first-hand examples, search YouTube for “Welcome to UC Irvine” and “UCI Intifada.”

The basic truth is that Israel has been trying to achieve peace ever since it was founded 62 years ago (an event referred to by MSU as “Nakba,” meaning “catastrophe”). Every military policy Israel implements is in self-defense from some of the most horrific human rights violators in the world who openly boast about their use of civilian human shields. As Benjamin Netanyahu, Prime Minister of Israel, stated in 2006, “if Israel were to put down its arms, there would be no more Israel. If the Arabs were to put down their arms there would be no more war.”

The Hamas charter calls for the murder of all Jews worldwide. However, don’t expect MSU to acknowledge the vile nature of a terror organization for which they cheer.

As long as the administration condones hate speech by speakers such as Amir Abdel Malik Ali (by refusing to condemn controversial statements), the safety of the student body remains highly uncertain given how often he preaches, “sooner or later, today’s Muslim students will be the parents of Muslim children. And they should be militants.” Unfortunately, unless you take action, your student fees will continue to fund hate and terror at UC Irvine. As Martin Luther King Jr. said, “Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.”

Joe Wolf is a third-year physics Ph.D. student.  He can be reached at wolfj@uci.edu.