Jock Shines, But UCI Finishes Fifth

scott roeder | Staff Photographer Senior Christina Sando competes in the high jump at the Big West Championships at Northridge. UCI finished fifth overall.

scott roeder | Staff Photographer
Senior Christina Sando competes in the high jump at the Big West Championships at Northridge. UCI finished fifth overall.

Last March, Charles Jock posted a school record in the 800 meters with a time of 1 minute, 47.46 seconds. What would he do this time at the Big West Conference Championship?

As it turns out, he raised the bar for those Anteaters trying to make a name for themselves in the 800 meters. Jock saved his best performance for when it really mattered. Senior Tim Murphy and Jock finished one and two respectively in the 800 meters on Friday to qualify for Saturday’s championships.

It was on Saturday where Charles Jock etched his name yet again in the Irvine record books. Jock broke the school record in the 800 meters again, running the event in 1:46.93. Jock’s teammate Murphy finished second with a time of 1:50.53.

Jock and Murphy also played a major factor in the men’s 4×400 relay, as they teamed up with George Hernandez and Jacob Yowell. These four Anteaters finished first with a time of 3:09.43.

Hernandez also competed in the men’s 400 meters and finished third with a time of 48.31. Yowell made his mark in the men’s 400-meter hurdles. He placed third with a time of 51.39, a time good for the fourth best time in school history.
On the women’s side, freshman Vanessa Houston led the Anteaters by recording two second place finishes. Houston finished second in women’s 100 meters with a time of 11.93 and in the 200 meters with a time of 24.32.

In the women’s 4×100 relay, the UC Irvine team of Amber Middleton, Sanmisola George, Breeanca Fleming and Houston managed to pull off a third place finish with a time of 46.06.

However, the rest of the women did not fare so well. The next best finish for the women was fifth place by Middleton in women’s 100-meter hurdles and 400-meter hurdles. Despite finishing fifth in both events, Middleton tied the fourth best mark in the 100-meter hurdles with a time of 14.20. While in the 400-meters, she posted the ninth-best time in UC Irvine school history, by running the event in 62.51.

In the triple jump, Justin Carter for the men’s and Natasha Wardley for the women’s put their own stake in the UCI record books. Carter’s jump was good for 48-9, which earned him seventh best in school history. Wardley’s jump of 39-4 and 1/2 was fifth-best in school history.

Cal State Northridge amazed on both men’s and women’s side of competition. The men collected a whopping 173 points for a first place finish. The Northridge women finished first by amassing a total of  193 points.

On the other hand, UC Irvine did not do so stellar. Charles Jock’s effort helped the men’s team collect 59 1/2 points, which was good for a fifth place finish. The women collected 43 points which earned them last place.