Don’t Be a Prisoner of Summer; Here are Options That Will Keep You Sane

With summer fast approaching and me not having any major plans after graduation, I have a lot of time to fill. I am probably right in guessing that there are a few others like me who have some free time on their hands and would like to fill it up. Thank god summer offers great weather and an abundance of athletics to participate in. I have come up with a few suggestions that could make summer a lot less boring and even add some fun to your break.

My first suggestion is to go see a few major league or minor league games. By now, everyone should know how much of a proponent of baseball I am, so I know I’m beating a dead horse. But there are three baseball teams in Southern California, located fairly close together. For about 10 bucks or less, you can get some pretty good and cheap tickets right before a game starts. To make things more fun, get a group of friends and tailgate in the parking lot before the game. Plus, you can split the cost of a parking pass and eat cheaper than you would inside the game — Dodger Dogs excluded, of course. If you are not in close proximity to a major league yard, then look for a minor league one, which offers services a lot cheaper than the big boys. Everybody should be begging: Take me out to the ball game!

My second summer option is to improve one’s physical well-being. A recent sickness has really made it clear to me that I need to take better care of myself. Instead of lying around and watching boring-ass daytime TV, go get a membership at the gym. There are a lot of flexible paying options at most major chain-gyms such as pay-per visit or using guest passes. You can bulk up, get toned or drop some poundage and get healthy. If you don’t want to pay for a gym membership, then there are other solutions. Go out and jog, or if you like a slower pace, take a walk. If you have a dog, walk it too. They’ll appreciate it. The one advice I will give about exercising is once you start, make sure you continue it. There have been so many times where people get into a workout regimen but get sidetracked. Don’t let that happen to you.

This next option is something that I have been doing for the past two summers and do not plan on stopping anytime soon. Get a group of friends together who are active and start a softball team. There are a lot of leagues out there to join with varying levels of competitiveness and some leagues where women can also play with men.
Softball is great for all the ex-athletes who still want to play and for people who want to do something as a group. For the 21-and-over crowd, I recommend joining a beer league for, well, obvious reasons. Nothing beats playing a game of softball during twilight and then going out for pizza and beer afterward, no matter what the game outcome may be. Don’t expect a lot of success in the beginning, however. The best softball players seem to be the old fat men that have been playing for a while.

My last piece of summer advice doesn’t necessarily have anything to do about sports per se. There are too many times where a summer comes and goes and we do nothing. Nothing is accomplished and time is wasted. Break the trend. Go out and do something that you have always wanted to do or something completely new to you. Go out and volunteer your time for charity and make a difference in your life and someone else’s. If that is not your cup of tea, then go do something creative. Take painting, sculpting, drawing, dancing or some other type of artsy lessons. Expand your horizons.

For those who do not know what they want to do in life, go out and intern as much and as often as possible. I know it’s hard to get a good job, but I’m sure businesses would be happy to have people around who work for free and want to learn. Just make sure you get something out of the experience. Now go forth and do something.