Drawn and Quoted

Don’t Bank On It – Last week, the Senate passed a financial reform bill. Well, sort of. They basically did the same thing they did with health care reform – they made a few baby steps in the right direction, but didn’t really address the actual problems. You know, problems like the shady types of insider trading and bad loans that got us into the recession in the first place, along with too big to fail, which led to us spending billions of taxpayer dollars to rescue banks that didn’t need to be rescued. Basically, the problems that made people want financial reform in the first place. Final result: Close, but no cigar.

Hopefully we will see some changes to the bill once the House gets its slightly more liberal hands on it. The bill isn’t horrible – there are good changes in it, but it just doesn’t do nearly enough. Either way, Congress has made an art form out of passing bills that do everything but address the real problems they were created to address.

Marriage Fail – Jesse James gave an interview last week in which he blamed only himself for ruining his marriage to Sandra Bullock. Thanks, Jesse, for pointing out the obvious. Yes, it was your fault. Sandra Bullock is perfect and you screwed up.

Seriously, what was this dude thinking? He was married to the chick from Miss Congeniality, and he cheated on her with a walking tattoo that is literally named Bombshell McGee. Usually if you meet someone named Bombshell, that should be a red flag.

Deep Impact – It was bound to happen sooner or later. After more than a month of oil spewing rapidly into the Gulf of Mexico from a geyser-like spot a full mile underwater, people are starting to call the government’s response strategy into question. Democrats and Republicans are beginning to criticize President Obama’s apparent inaction and hesitation on the issue.

Look, I know we all like to criticize the government and complain about how they never do anything right. And I certainly think this should be our first domestic priority at the moment. But at the same time, can we cut Obama some slack on this one? The situation in the Gulf probably isn’t the easiest thing in the world to fix. We know less about the ocean floor than we do about the surface of the moon. The scientific community itself is having a hard time deciding what to do about the leak, and the problem may not even have a solution at all. It certainly may be outside the realm of anything that a political body could fix. We really shouldn’t be pointing the finger at the President on this one.

Face Space – Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg says that steps will be taken to simplify privacy settings on Facebook. The changes are coming in response to complaints that users have a hard time understanding their current privacy options. People are also upset about the recent updates to the site that are intended only to provide focused (and annoying) advertising.

I get that nobody wants his or her personal information out in the open. Really, though, the simple fact that we all have Facebook accounts shows that none of us really give a damn about privacy.