185

American Indian Student Association Held Pow Wow on May 22

The American Indian Student Association (AISA) held their ninth annual UCI Pow Wow on Saturday, May 22 and Sunday, May 23 at Lower Mesa Lawn in the Mesa Court housing community. Vendors sold hand-crafted Native American goods, jewelry and frybread while an authentic native drum ensemble added to the atmosphere.

Different sections also featured a $500 drumming contest, a native children’s corner with traditional storytelling, basket making and crafts, free health screenings, California Indian bird singing and a traditional hoop dancer.

The Pow Wow featured representatives from many different tribes including the Kiowa, Apache, Cherokee, Seminole, TO’Oono Otim, P’urepecha, Blackfeet, Choctaw, Shawnee, Apache, Aztec and Hopi tribes.

Also present were different organizations from around UCI and the Irvine community. The sponsors who contributed to the event were ASUCI, India Resource Program and Energy Efficiency Solar.

AISA was founded in 1974 to help support American Indian students in their academic and social endeavors at UCI. Since its founding, their mission has grown to encompass promoting general awareness of American Indian culture and heritage in the UCI community, and opened its doors to all interested students regardless of ethnicity. AISA meets each Thursday evening at 6 p.m. in the Cross Cultural Center.

Third Annual iFest to Hit UCI This Week May 24-28

Anteaters for Israel’s third annual IFEST will be held from May 24 to 28 in celebration of Israel’s 62nd birthday.

Monday on ring road at noon will feature a  free barbeque and Tuesday night at Phoenix Grill will have Israeli beverages. Tuesday through Thursday will feature  an Israeli market on Ring Road including a free hookah bar and a chance to win a free iPod. Thursday at noon, Kaba Modern dance crew will perform at the flagpoles. Thursday evening will be Electric Garden 18+ nightclub with free admission and busing for UCI students with ID. To conclude the week, Friday evening there will be an Israeli Shabbat dinner at the Student Center in Emerald Bay, with services at 7 p.m. and dinner at 7:30 p.m.

Fashion Show at UCI to Take Place May 26

UCI’s Fashion Interest Group (FIG) will host its third annual fashion show this Wednesday, May 26 at 5:30 p.m. in Pacific Ballroom. The show will showcase student designers will be modeled by student models. Last year the event featured ten student designers, competing for the title of UCI’s “Top Designer” as well as a “Greek Walk Off” for the UCI title of “Best Model.” Founded in 2007, the student group had grown in membership, hosting its own photo-shoot last November in Aldrich Park. FIG meets weekly for students interested in all aspects of the fashion industry, including design, modeling, and business.