Sports in brief

Six Outstanding UCI Track Athletes Earn NCAA Prelim Berths

Six UC Irvine track athletes have earned berths in the NCAA West Preliminary Round at Austin, TX, May 27-29.

Charles Jock and Tim Murphy have qualified for the 800 meters. Jock was named the Big West Conference Athlete of the Year in men’s track. Colin Hacker will compete in the 1500 meters and junior Jacob Yowell qualified in the 110-meter hurdles and the 400-meter hurdles.

The men’s 4×400 relay also qualified with a time of 3:09.43 that placed first in the event at the Big West Championships Members of the relay are Yowell, Murphy, George Hernandez and Jock.

Freshman Vanessa Houston earned a spot in the 200 meters.

Ali Ton Named New Men’s Basketball Assistant Coach

Ali Ton has been named an assistant coach with the UC Irvine men’s basketball program, Anteater head coach Russell Turner announced last Thursday. A highly acclaimed recruiter in the U.S. and internationally, Ton has been an assistant coach at Radford University for the past three seasons.

Ton was a standout point guard at Los Alamitos High School, earning the honors of All-CIF and MVP of the Sunset League in 1995.

Men’s Golf Fails to Advance Out of NCAA Regionals

The UC Irvine men’s golf team finished eighth in the NCAA Southwest Regional that concluded Saturday at Carlton Oaks Golf Club in Santee. Oregon won the 13-team regional with a 54-hole score of 870. The five top teams advance to the NCAA Finals in Chattanooga, TN, June 1-6.

UCI senior John Chin shot 1-under 71 in the final round and placed ninth at 218. He finished in the top 10 in each of the last 11 tournaments of the season.

Freshman Jerry He shot a final round of 76 on Saturday, placing 28th in the tournament with a total score of 224. Junior Max Griel and freshman Michael Yang also fired off 76’s in the final round, finishing their tournaments in 57th and 68th place respectively.

The top five teams: Oregon, Augusta State, California, Tennessee and UNLV advanced to the NCAA finals.  UCI’s season ends with an eighth place finish.