News in Brief

California Nurses Association Strikes Against UCs

On Friday, May 28, the California Nurses Association announced a strike on June 10 against the University of California at five of UC’s medical centers and four other UC medical facilities.

The strike is being held due to union complaints of low staffing levels causing long hours for nurses with no breaks.

However, according to a statement from the University of California Office of the President (UCOP), the “University considers this action unlawful, a violation of good-faith bargaining requirements and a clear violation of the parties’ contract.”

UCOP insists that the allegations made about inadequate staffing hold “no merit” and that UC has awarded and continues to award competitive wages and benefits for nurses.

However, UCOP still maintains that “the University is again prepared to do whatever it takes to ensure the safety of our patients in the face of a threatened strike by CNA.”

Wasserstrom on Authors@Google Program

Recently, Google has begun a program called Authors@Google that features a series of videos broadcasted on YouTube. The program brings writers to Google headquarters in San Francisco for conversations concerning their respective works.

Among these authors is UC Irvine’s own Jeffrey Wasserstrom, history professor and author of “China in the 21st Century: What Everyone Needs to Know.”

In his talk, Wasserstrom focused on China’s modernization, the role of the internet, and the country’s diversity.

Wasserstrom gave an off-the-beaten-path interpretation on China and the Chinese media in this article, which can be found on the Huffington Post website or on YouTube.

Anteater Garden Initiative Seeks Land to Grow

The Anteater Garden Initiative hopes to bring an on-campus and student-run garden to UC Irvine. This garden is intended to be used for educational purposes and will be open to students of all school. At the moment, they are asking for one-fourth acre of land to start their project.

However, the group has run into issues with acquiring a plot of land to create a garden on campus. Having been turned down by both the administration and the Campus Physical Environmental Committee, the Anteater Garden Initiative is currently negotiating with the Arroyo Vista administrative board for unused space.

In preparation for when the garden is established, the group has already integrated into ASUCI two Garden Commission positions that will overlook the logistical aspects of maintaining the garden.

Despite the discouragements, the Anteater Garden Intiative hopes to have a plot of land for the garden before summer.