151

Former ’Eaters Kim, Chin Compete on Golf’s Biggest Stages

A pair of Anteater alumna has enjoyed success throughout the summer on the golf world’s biggest stages. Kenny Kim, who golfed for UCI from 2004 to 2008, competed in the U.S. Open at Pebble Beach on July 16 and 17. Despite shooting an opening round 78 (+7), Kim fired a 73 (+2) on the Friday round on a tough golf course that ate some of the best golfers in the world (including: Vijay Singh, Zach Johnson and Dustin Johnson).  Although his 9-over par 2 round score wasn’t enough to make the cut, Kim performed admirably in the PGA Tour’s most democratic tournament.

Senior John Chin participated in the Palmer Cup in late June after finishing his UCI career. The team championship that was held in Northern Ireland is an annual amateur competition that can be compared to professional golf’s edition of the Ryder Cup. As a member of the United States team, Chin’s squad defeated Europe 13-11, despite his final round loss to European Patrick Spraggs. In June, Chin was also honored as a first team All-American by Golfweek and PING.  He was also honored as a selection to the All-Nicklaus team.  Chin is the first Anteater to earn these honors in the team’s 33-year Division I history.

Pieces Falling into Place for Turner, UCI Basketball Program

The UC Irvine men’s basketball program has made some substantial upgrades to their squad and coaching staff this offseason.   Amadou “Pape” Koundoul, formerly the assistant coach at Centenary College in Louisiana, has signed on at UCI for the same position. The Cleveland State graduate joins Head Coach Russell Turner in his pursuit of putting Irvine basketball back on the map.

Koundoul will be joined by his former Centenary guard Daman Starring in Orange County. Starring signed with the Anteaters two weeks prior to Koundoul’s signing.  The 6-4 versatile guard scored 11.7 points, 3.6 rebounds and 2.3 assists per game in his 2009-2010 season at Centenary.

Also coming to UCI is the 2010 Northern California High School Basketball Player of the Year, Chris McNealy.  Another 6-4 guard, McNealy led San Ramon Valley High School in Danville to a 28-4 record last season. McNealy’s father, Chris, played for the New York Knicks from 1985-1988. In the winter, Turner will likely implement his two newest additions into his team’s up-tempo backcourt.

Mar Playing for Mexico in Women’s Under-20 World Cup

Irvine’s own Mar Rodriguez, who scored five goals and two assists as a freshman for the ’Eaters  last year, will be competing for the Mexican National Team in the FIFA Under-20 Women’s World Cup in Germany from July 13-Aug. 1. Rodriguez and the Mexican team will face Japan, England and Nigeria in their group match-ups. After the World Cup, she is expected to return to UCI to start the home opener at Anteater Stadium on Aug. 20 against Idaho.