Usain Who? Jock on the Rise

SCOTT ROEDER | Staff Photographer<br>Charles Jock has been busy this summer, breaking his personal record for the fifth time this season.

SCOTT ROEDER | Staff Photographer; Charles Jock has been busy this summer, breaking his personal record for the fifth time this season.

The hottest attraction this summer will not be found on the big screen. Instead, look no further than the track. That is where Charles Jock has been doing work. The UC Irvine sophomore earned 2010 All-American honors in a record-breaking season.

Jock did not rest after being named the Big West track athlete of the year. He continued to amaze in the month of June, doing his best work after the school year ended.

After competing in the Big West Track and Field Championships, Jock traveled with Tim Murphy, Colin Hacker, Jacob Yowell, George Hernandez and Vanessa Houston to Austin, Texas to participate in the NCAA West Region Preliminary Round from May 27-28.

On the first day of competition, Jock advanced to the quarterfinals in the 800 meters, running the event in 1 minute, 50.11 seconds. In the same event, Murphy posted a time of 1:51.33 seconds, but the time was not fast enough for him to move on.Yowell participated in the 400-meter hurdles, but his time of 53.84 was not adequate enough to advance him to the next round. In the 1500 meters, Hacker’s time of 4:4.73 could not advance him to the next round. Houston’s time of 12.13 seconds in the 100 meters also did not earn her a spot in the quarterfinals.

On the second day of competition, Jock continued to amaze. He broke his personal record once again, running the 800 in 1:46.67. His previous record, which he set in the Big West Championships, was 1:46.93. Jock’s time of 1:46.67 was the second fastest time in the 800, just behind Oregon Senior, Andrew Wheating, who raced in the 2008 Olympics.
Houston had a second chance of cracking the quarterfinals, as she competed in the 200 meters, but her time of 24.46 advanced her. Yowell raced in the 110-meter hurdles, but his time of 15.19 did not advance him.

The lone disappointment for Jock came on the third day of competition. Jock teamed up with Yowell, Murphy and Hernandez to run the 4×400 meter relay. The team posted a time of 3:10.78. Irvine failed to advance to the next round of the track and field championships after they finished sixth in the relay race.

Jock’s time of 1:46.67 in the 800 meters earned him a berth in the NCAA Track and Field Championships in Eugene, Oregon. On June 9, Jock broke his own record once again in the 800 meters. Jock ran the race in 1:46.17 seconds, which was good for a fifth place finish in his heat. His performance marked the fourth time this year in which he broke the school record for the 800 meters.

Although Jock ran the fifth fastest time in Oregon he didn’t qualify to the final heat. The NCAA Track and Field Championships is formatted in a way where the two top finishers of each heat move on to the final heat, in addition, the next two fastest times who didn’t finish one or two. Since Jock recorded the fifth fastest time in his heat, he did not move on.

After competing in the NCAA Track and Field Championships, Jock traveled to Des Moines, Iowa to compete in the USA Track and Field Championships.

In Des Moines, Jock ran the 800 meters in 1:47.99, which placed him second in his first round heat. Jock posted the sixth fastest time at the USA Track and Field Championships. His time advanced him to the second day of competition.
In the semifinals, Jock ran the 800 meters in 1:46.40, which earned him third place in his heat and a berth in the finals. In the final heat, Jock saw his amazing run come to an end, finishing seventh.

On July 11, Jock was back at it, breaking his own record in the 800, marking the fifth time this season. At the North American Central American Caribbean U-23 Track and Field Champions, Jock placed first in the 800 by running the event in 1:45.65. Not only did Jock eclipse his own record but also the previous NACAC all-time record of 1:48.19.