Sports in Brief

Women’s Basketball  Brings In Four Veteran Transfers

After losing four seniors to graduation in the spring, Anteaters’ head coach Molly Goodenbour has been busy over the offseason, adding four transfers to the team’s roster. Last season, the team’s midseason addition of transfer Mikah Maly-Karros paid off in a huge way when she became the team’s leading scorer and fueled the team.

This season, Goodenbour hopes that four new acquisitions will have lasting impacts. Joining the squad will be sophomores Taylor Champion and Joanna Miller, as well as juniors Kassandra McAlister and Pernilla Hanson.

As former Oregon State Beavers, Champion and McAlister will stick together as Anteaters. Playing 10 games apiece for the Beavers last season, Champion averaged 2.1 points and 1.9 rebounds, while McAlister scored 1.4 points per game.

Miller comes from North Carolina Central, where she was named the 2009-2010 NCAA Division I All-Independent Women’s Basketball Newcomer of the Year. She scored 19.1 points per game, leading her team in scoring, steals, minutes played and free throw percentage. Hanson played in all 31 games for Point Loma University last season. She scored 5.7 points and 4.9 boards per game, while establishing herself as a threat from beyond the arc.

Baseball’s Dietrich Named Assistant, Pitching Coach

The UC Irvine baseball team has named last season’s Director of Baseball Operations, Jason Dietrich, an assistant coach for the 2011 season.

He will assume the role of pitching coach which was vacated when Ted Silva left the school to become Loyola Marymount’s pitching coach. With a young pitching staff that lost Kyle Necke, Danny Bibona, Christian Bergman and Eric Pettis to graduation this offseason, Dietrich will have his work cut out for him in resurrecting UCI’s pitching staff.

Men’s Basketball to Host 2KSports Classic at the Bren

From Nov. 19-21, the UCI Men’s Basketball team will host the 2K Sports Classic, a sub-regional that benefits Coaches vs. Cancer. Navy, Seattle University and Lousianna Tech will take part in the event at the Bren Events Center.