Sports In Brief

Men’s and Women’s Cross Country Perform Adequately at Stanford Invite

The UC Irvine women’s cross country team placed 11th out of 24 in the 37th annual Stanford University Invitational on Saturday Sept. 25.

Leading the pack of Anteaters was junior Katherine Nielsen who finished 46th out of 212 runners with a time of 22 minutes, seven seconds. She crossed the finish line 2:01 behind the winner in the 6000-meter race. Freshman Colleen Lillig finished in 47th place with a time of 22:08, just one second behind Nielsen. On Oct. 2, the ’Eaters are expected to compete at the Pomona-Pitzer Invitational.

The men’s cross country team also competed at the Stanford Invitational on Saturday, placing 12th out of 26 teams in the 8000-meter race. Senior Colin Hacker once again led the men’s team, finishing 46th in a 231 runner field with a time of 24:48. Junior Brett Matejka was the second Anteater to cross the finish line at 25:09 in 69th, followed by freshman Steven Melena in 82nd at 25:17.

Andrew Fontein Sets UCI All-Time Shutouts Record; Team Keeps Rolling

With a 4-0 victory against Cal State Bakersfield at the UNLV Rebel Classic on Friday Sept. 24, junior goalie Andrew Fontein set an all-time record at UC Irvine for career shutouts. Recording his sixth shutout in the team’s first seven games of the season, Fontein pushed his career total to 15. The 15th shutout allowed Fontein to pass Cameron Rossi (2001-2004) and Ryan Mathy (2002-2005), who previously held the school record with 14. Juniors Miguel Ibarra, Joel Bagby and Brett Berman, along with senior Gray Bailey scored goals in the contest.

On Sunday afternoon, the Anteaters defeated UNLV 4-0. The shutout extended Fontein’s new career shutouts record to 16. Senior Amani Walker led the way for Irvine, netting two goals and dishing out an assist. Junior Syd Tom and senior Spencer Thompson also added goals of their own in the 4-0 route.

Lady ’Eaters Finish 14th in Year’s 1st Tournament; Valerio Posts Low Scores.

In their first tournament of the year on Sept. 18, the UC Irvine women’s golf team placed 14th out of 17 teams in the Dick McGuire Invitational at the University of New Mexico Golf Course.

Freshman Ronnie Valerio led Irvine with scores of 76, 77 and 74 in her 33rd-place finish. Sophomore Michelle Park was 49th, shooting a career-best 74 in her final round.

Senior Patty Chawalitmetha finished in 58th place with rounds of 82, 76 and 74. Coming in 71st place was junior Lalita Patipaksiri. She shot her best score in the first round, a 77, followed by scores of 84 and 79 on the weekend. Rounding out the Anteaters’ was freshman Taryn Yee in 88th. Yee posted a 251 (84-85-82).

The Lady Anteaters will travel back to New Mexico for an Oct. 11-13 tournament at the Price’s New Mexico State Invitational.