Making It Look Too Easy

Alex Yee | Staff Photographer

UC Irvine 1 Pacific 0

After flying through their last three games with relative ease, the UC Irvine women’s soccer team had a gritty 1-0 win on Friday as the team needed two overtimes to decide a victor.
The game lasted until the 109th minute when Coco Goodson smashed in a free kick from about 28 yards out to seal the victory for the ’Eaters. With the win, UCI improved its overall record to 9-1-2 and also earned their first victory in conference play.

From the first kickoff, both teams had an even amount of opportunities on goal. The ’Eaters got close on multiple occasions with runs from Tanya Taylor and Lexi Kopf, but Pacific’s defense derailed those opportunities. A notable cross from Taylor to Mar Rodriguez was almost enough to break the deadlock but good coverage from Pacific’s keeper, Jill Medigovich, made sure that the match remained scoreless at halftime.

In the first half, the Anteaters were presented with many chances to score, tallying five shots and three corner kicks. UCI also played stout defense, holding Pacific to one shot and no corner kicks.

After the half, the Anteaters began to take more control of the game. Good moves from Rodriguez continually caused problems for the Tiger defense. Pacific gave the ’Eaters a scare on one occasion when Laura Hogan missed a chance in the 56th minute.

However, the Anteaters stayed strong on defense as they did not allow the Tigers to get into any sort of rhythm.

Offensively, the Anteaters consistently gave UOP fits, but on many occasions they could not take advantage. Taylor’s penetrating run gave the Tigers worries all game long.
Twenty minutes into the second half, Mar Rodriguez appeared to have a golden opportunity to break a scoreless tie, but she was unable to execute.

Even though the Anteaters dominated on the defensive side of the ball, they could not find their offensive rhythm. After 90 minutes of regulation, neither team was able to put the ball into the net, forcing the game to go into overtime.

In the second half, the Tigers woke up on the offensive as they fired six shots to UCI’s four.
In first overtime, the stalemate continued, as both sides looked even. Notable runs from Taylor kept the Tiger defense on their toes.

After 109 minutes of back-and-forth play, the game looked like it would end in a scoreless tie. That was until midfielder Goodson smashed in a free kick to seal the victory.

Goodson’s goal marked the fourth time she has scored this season, putting her at a tie for second on the team with Kopf.

UC Irvine 6 UCD 0

After winning an impressive double-overtime game against the University of Pacific, the Lady Anteaters returned to the pitch on Sunday Oct. 3. This time the Anteaters showed that Orange County is not always filled with drama.

From the onset of the game, the Anteaters showed the Aggies that they had no business being in Irvine. The ’Eaters were merciless, as they obliterated UC Davis 6-0.

Senior captain Tanya Taylor led the charge with a standout performance, scoring two goals and assisting on three others.

“That was one of the best individual performances I have ever seen in college soccer,” said Head Coach Scott Juniper.

She started the Anteater goal party in the 24th minute by assisting on Mar Rodriguez’s goal. Four minutes later, UCI’s Lexi Kopf made it 2-0.

The Aggies went into halftime trailing two goals to none but the wise decision would have been to stay in the locker room as they had no idea what the ’Eaters had in store for them.

Ten minutes into the second half, Taylor scored her first goal of the afternoon, making it 3-0. In the 57th minute, sophomore forward Dana Sanderlin made it 4-0. In the 73rd minute Taylor added her second goal, making it 5-0. In the 88th min, Kopf ended the Aggie massacre by adding her second goal, the sixth for the Anteaters.

Not to be forgotten in the offensive bombardment is senior goalie, Danielle de Seriere. Davis fired ten shots, six of which were on goal, but Seriere stood strong in the goalie box, as she notched six saves. The 6-0 victory earned de Seriere her sixth shutout of the season.

The Anteaters are currently on a six-game winning streak. And just like the men’ soccer team, the Lady Anteaters have been firing on all cylinders, tallying 17 goals and allowing two.
UC Irvine will travel to San Luis Obispo and Santa Barbara this coming week. The Anteaters will take on the Mustangs on Oct. 8 and the Gauchos on Oct. 10.