News In Brief

DUI Checkpoint on Campus Scheduled to Take Place

A sobriety checkpoint will be conducted on UCI Campus by the UCI Police Department on Thursday, Oct. 14 at an unannounced time and location. Uniformed officers will be checking traffic flow for alcohol and drug impaired drivers.

The DUI checkpoint is intended to spread awareness about the dangers of drinking and driving and deter impaired drivers from being on the road.

The location and duration of the checkpoint will be announced in a press release on the UCI Police Department web page four hours prior to the event.

In the month of September alone, UCIPD gave out at least five alcohol related tickets, including DUIs and Minor in Possession.

Irvine Diversity Festival: Celebrating Difference

Saturday marked the ninth annual Irvine Global Village Festival, with over 13,000 visitors flocking to Bill Barber Park for the event.

Festival attractions included international dance and live music performances, cultural exhibits, international cuisine, a Kids Village with craft activities and booths for shopping.

The event was hosted by the City of Irvine’s multicultural association with the aim to promote diversity and cultural awareness within the Irvine community.

All U Leadership Conference Brings Leaders together in Irvine

UC Irvine’s Dean of Students office hosted the 27th annual Randy B. Lewis All-University Leadership Conference on October 2nd and 3rd in the Student Center.

The conference was billed as “a unique opportunity at UCI for students, faculty, staff and administrators to all go on a weekend retreat together to meet one another, network, hone their leadership skills and discuss important issues facing the University.” It featured facilitator Tom Matson, director of Programming and Leadership Development for Gallup’s education division.

The conference brought together about 240 of UCI’s student leaders with university administrators and program facilitators for a weekend of workshops on leadership theories, principles and concepts, plenary sessions, panels and small group case studies. Participants also addressed contemporary political, social and cultural issues on campus .
The All-U Leadership conference was established in 1984, and has served more than 4,820 students. The conference is the only program of its kind in the UC System, and UCI’s Chancellor and other campus executives have participated in the program since its beginning.

Dr. Thomas Parham, men’s basketball head coach Russell Turner and Chancellor Michael Drake spoke at this year’s conference, and various UCI organizations helped with funding, such as Arts, Student Affairs, ASUCI, Athletics, Student Services, California Teach Science & Math Program, Camino del Sol, Campus Assault Resources and Education, Campuswide Honors Program, Career Center, CFEP – SAGE Scholars Program, Chicano/Latino Studies, Cross-Cultural Center, Dean of Students, Hospitality & Dining Services, Student Housing, LGBT Resource Center, UC Student Regent Office, UCI Alumni Association, UCI Police Department and the Vice Chancellor Student Affairs among many others.