Sports In Brief

Water Polo Wins Three of Four, Takes Third at UCLA’s SoCal Tournament

On Oct. 2, UCI defeated Cal, 9-8. The Anteaters outscored the Golden Bears 3-2 in the fourth quarter. Brandon Johnson led the ’Eaters with four goals, including the game winner. Senior Griffin Lerman registered two goals while Matt Johnson saved six goals in the victory.

Prior to the victory over Cal, UCI defeated St. Francis 12-7 on Saturday. After trailing 6-3 in the second quarter, the Anteaters scored nine unanswered goals. Lerman recorded five goals, with senior Doug Lindsey scoring three times and Brandon Johnson netting two of his own. Matt Johnson was tested early and often, finishing with 11 saves.

On Oct. 3, the Anteaters lost to UCLA, 8-6. Seniors Brandon Johnson and Doug Lindsey scored two goals apiece in the losing effort. They then defeated UCSB 8-4 later that evening. Freshman Mitch Wise was the leading scorer with three goals.

Losing Streak Extended to Six as Women’s Volleyball Struggles in Nor Cal

The women’s volleyball team’s struggles continued this past weekend. On Oct. 2, UC Davis defeated the Anteaters in three sets: 27-29, 17-25 and 17-25. Piggott was a bright spot in the Anteaters’ loss, totaling 13 kills while committing just one error. Their record now stands at 4-12.

On Friday, Oct. 1, the Anteaters were swept by Pacific 25-16, 25-8, 25-16. Piggott recorded six kills, Pestolesi had five, Winkler had 10 digs and sophomore Marissa Alvarez had 13 assists.