The 2010 Medal Awards

Every year, UC Irvine honors a select few recipients who have managed excellent contributions to the university with the prestigious Medal Award. On Saturday, October 2nd, the 2010 Medal Awards Ceremony “A Celebration of Stars” took place at the Bren Events Center, recognizing Vice Chancellor for Research Susan V. Bryant, campus advocates Salma and Hazem Chehabi, Chairman of the Board and CEO of Allergan Inc. David Pyott, and professor of mechanical, aerospace, and environmental engineering Scott Samuelsen. There was also a special performance by UCI alum Teal Wicks, of Broadway fame. New University photographer Lee-Huang Chen was on the scene to capture this important event.

Dr. Scott Samuelson receives his medal at the Medal Awards Ceremony from Chancellor Michael V. Drake.

Dr. Scott Samuelson delivers an acceptance speech in front of a replica of the medal he received. He and the other recipients have helped realize the UCI motto: "Let There Be Light."

The Medal Awards Ceremony is not only a night to celebrate demonstrated excellence, but is also the university's biggest fundraising event, whose proceeds go on to support the Regents' Scholarships and graduate fellowships.

The first ever Medal went to the university's first chancellor Daniel Aldrich in 1984, who set the bar high for future recipients in terms of what impact they had on the future of the campus and its students.

===

For more of Lee-Huang Chen’s photography, visit www.lhcphotography.com