A Letter From The EVP

I write today to address yet another fee increase. The budget passed by the legislature this past week restored funding from previous budgets. However, costs keep rising and the University of California is facing another fee increase to fill a $237.1 million gap.

The decision to increase fees is a combination of how much revenue the university can secure, as well as how many cuts will be taken. As a result, suggested fee increases ranges from one to 20 percent!

These figures are alarming given that we are still reeling from a 32 percent increase voted on last November. It is rational for students to ponder the reasons for increasing fees again. First of all, the restoration of funds does not mean the University of California is fully funded by the state in the first place. Second of all, there are increasing capital costs each year that arise due to contractual capital mandates.

Needless to say, the problem is due to much more than the reasons listed above. The state of California has continuously underfunded higher education and the University of California has used student fees to fill in for the gaps.

Students must continue to make their voices heard by attending the November Regents meeting at University of California, San Francisco, registering students to vote, voting for the next governor in November and holding both the Regents and legislators accountable! Students should not be paying for the shortfalls of the state economy or lack of alternative revenues yet to be explored by the University.

The Associated Students of UC Irvine (ASUCI) and the UC Student Association (UCSA) will not surrender and will mobilize in the coming weeks. Collectively and with your help, we will stand against this fee hike!

Please stay alert in the coming weeks as more information unfolds. A vote on this fee increase will likely happen Nov. 16-18 at the Regents meeting.

Warmly,

Andres F. Gonzalez

Executive Vice President, ASUCI

Board Chair, UCSA