Sports in Brief

Kearney Impresses in Tennis Tourney

Junior transfer Chris Kearney was eliminated from the D’Novo/ITA All-American Tennis Championships on Oct. 7 after winning seven straight matches. Kearney advanced to the Tulsa, Oklahoma tournament’s round of 32 before losing to Baylor’s No. 22 ranked John Peers in a 5-7, 7-6 (3), 6-7 (3) marathon match. His run almost continued when he was up 6-5 in the third set against Peers.

The highlight of his tourney was probably defeating No. 16 ranked Texas Tech’s Raony Carvalho.

Women’ Soccer Keeps Rolling

This past weekend, the Anteaters extended their win streak to nine games. On Oct. 8, they shut Cal Poly out 3-0 on the road. Scoring two goals in the first six minutes, UCI looked sharp early on. Junior Lexi Kopf and senior Tanya Taylor recorded one goal and one assist apiece. Senior Nikki Forrest added an assist of her own when Taylor scored in the sixth minute. Sophomore Mar Rodriguez later scored in the 54th minute to push the lead to 3-0. The win secured Irvine’s third consecutive shutout.

UCI defeated UCSB 2-1 in 20T on Sunday. In the last minute of the contest, sophomore Alexis Rafael came up clutch, hitting a game-winning goal and avoiding a tie.
Men’s Golf Finishes Fifth, He Emerges

On Oct. 4, the men’s golf team finished in fifth place at the Cabo Intercollegiate. Sophomore Jerry He lead the Anteaters, tying for second at -4. He shot a 73 in his first round, but followed it up with a -1 (72) and -4 (68) in the tournament’s final two rounds. Senior Bryan Harris started with an opening round -4, and ended tied for seventh at -1. The team is expected to compete next in The Alister Mackenzie from Oct. 18-19.

Water Polo Sweeps Weekend Series

The No. 3 Anteaters defeated Pepperdine 12-9 on Oct. 9. UCI outscored the Waves 7-4 in the first half. Seniors Brandon Johnson and Tom Kruip led the team with five and three goals, respectively.

UCI then went on to blow out Air Force 12-3 at home on Sunday. With a 7-1 lead at half, the ’Eaters coasted to victory. Senior goalie Matt Johnson recorded six saves in the first half and was given the second half off. Junior Beau Moody took over, collecting five saves in the second half.