100

Men’s Soccer

UCI 0, Cal Poly 0

Last time the Anteaters played Cal Poly, they relied on the heroics of junior transfer Bello Alhassan, as he scored the go-ahead goal in the 88th minute of the contest.

On Oct. 16, the Anteaters once again squared off against the Mustangs of Cal Poly, but this time no late game heroics presented themselves for either team. After playing 110 minutes of physical soccer, the contest between UCI and Cal Poly ended in a lackluster draw.

Despite outshooting the Mustangs 7-0 in the second overtime and 20-12 for the entire game, the Anteaters struggled to find the net. UCI totaled six more corner kicks but that was not enough to break a 0-0 stalemate.

Junior goalkeeper Andrew Fontein recorded four saves to preserve the tie and shutout. The Anteaters held their opponent scoreless for the tenth time this season.

Irvine travels to Northridge on Oct. 20 to take on the Matadors and then return home on Oct. 23 to face CSU Fullerton.

Women’s Volleyball

UCI 0, LBSU 3

The Lady Anteaters continue to struggle in Big West action. On Oct. 15, UC Irvine traveled 20 miles north to face heated rival, Long Beach State.

But the trip did not fare so well, as the 49ers swept the Anteaters in three games: 19-25, 21-25, 22-25.

The Lady Anteaters struggled to find any form of offensive rhythm, as no player for UCI recorded more than 10 kills. Seniors Juliane Piggott and Larissa Nordyke led the team with nine kills. Senior Ashley Bosza recorded a career high of 19 assists. Sophomore Marissa Alvarez and freshman Mary Carls dealt out seven assists.

UCI 2, CSUN 3

After being swept by Long Beach, the Anteaters traveled to Northridge to face the Matadors. Although the Anteaters took CSUN to five sets, the result was another loss. The Matadors defeated the ’Eaters three games to two: 19-25, 25-18, 21-25, 25-22 and 14-16.

Piggott once again led the team in kills with 17 and Nordyke added another 16. Alvarez led the team with 36 assists and Bosza contributed with nine helpers.

In the fifth, UCI was done in by their defense, allowing CSUN to convert .400 of their hitting opportunities.

With the loss, the Anteaters have dropped three straight and nine out of their last 10. UCI’s overall record falls to 5-15. The Anteaters continue their road trip this coming weekend as they travel to UCSB and Cal Poly.

Men’s Water Polo

UCI 9, LBSU 7

The men’s water polo team also travelled to Long Beach on Saturday, Oct. 16. But unlike the women’s volleyball team, the water polo team defeated the 49ers 9-7.

Seniors Tom Kruip and Doug Lindsey led the Anteater charge, as they led the team with three goals apiece. Kyle Kruip added two more while Kyle Baxter contributed with one.
The Anteaters quickly pounced on the 49ers by scoring two goals in the first quarter. This 2-0 lead proved to be the difference in the game.

UCI is currently on a four-game winning streak, winning nine out of their last 10. The ’Eaters improve to 2-0 in the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation and 13-3 overall.
The Anteaters will travel to Los Angeles on Oct. 23 to face the UCLA Bruins.