Sports in Brief

Men’s and Women’s Cross Country Win at Cal Poly Invitational

The UCI men’s and women’s cross-country teams both won races at the Cal Poly Invitational on Oct. 16.

With seven runners finishing in the top 10, the men’s team dominated the meet. Junior Brett Matejka was the victor, with a time of 26:37.5 on the 8000-meter course. Senior Colin Hacker finished second just one second behind Matejka. Junior Andy Burich was fourth (26:49.4), senior Victor Bonilla finished fifth (26:52.8), freshman Steven Melena placed eighth (27:07.9), senior Barrett Tilley (27:09.1) came in ninth and rounding out the Anteaters’ top seven was junior Sam Hyams in tenth (27:11.7).

The women’s team finished with seven runners in the race’s top 14. Although none of the ’Eaters placed in the top three, freshman Colleen Lillig showed promise, placing fourth with a time of 18:08.6 on the 5000-meter run. Junior Katherine Nielsen placed sixth (18:21.8), sophomore Maggie Newton-Neal finished in eighth (18:38.7) and junior Melissa Mead was 10th. With the Titan Invitational coming up this Friday Oct. 22, the men’s and women’s cross-country teams hope to keep the edge and win their respective Fullerton races.

Men’s Basketball Receives Verbal from Promising Recruit

Last week, head coach Russell Turner lassoed in a talented high school athlete. According to ESPN.com, Collin Woods, of Scottsdale, Arizona, verbally committed to join the Anteaters next season. Ranked among the top 50 high school point guards in the nation, Woods is listed as a three-star athlete on ESPN’s “scouts grade.”

The 6-foot-2-inch, 165-pound guard’s decision is a great start for Turner, considering that Woods picked UCI over other programs such as Arizona State University, the University of Colorado, San Diego State, Fresno State and the University of Portland.