News In Brief

Can LED Lights Work to Detect Cancer? Research Using PDT at UC Irvine Indicates a Possibility

UC Irvine researchers are leading explorers in the field of cancer treatment. Researchers have been investigating new ways to picture cancerous lesions using light-emitting diodes, LEDs, hoping for the progression of photodynamic therapy.

PDT is a technique for treating cancer that photosensitizes chemicals that absorb light that are injected into a tumor to be exposed to light. These chemicals will destroy cancer cells by producing oxygen radicals from the light energy after therapy. Currently, the FDA has approved PDT for esophageal and lung cancer treatment.

Rolf Saager, a lab worker at the Beckman Laser Institute at UCI said, “Through this imaging modality, it is now possible to assess how the therapeutic light will travel throughout the affected tissue, quantify the drug present within the lesion and monitor its efficacy during treatment.” Those words give hope to cancer patients, their family and friends that there are advancing methods of treatment for this sickness and future cures as well.

Saager and his colleagues are optimistic that this imaging performance will lead to perfecting PDT for basal cell carcinoma which is the most common type of skin cancer. The researchers will explain their work at the Optical Society’s (OSA) 94th annual meeting, Frontiers in Optics (FiO) 2010 at the Rochester Riverside Convention Center in Rochester later this month.

Erwin Chemerinsky’s Sixth Book Sheds Light on Aspects of Conservative Government

Erwin Chemerinsky, dean of the UCI School of Law, recently published his sixth book, “The Conservative Assault on the Constitution.” As the title suggests, it is a criticism of conservative government. The main thesis of the book rests on the idea that since Nixon ran for office, conservatives

have sought to change the basic constitutional rights of Americans.

Chemerinsky makes it clear in the book that he feels they have succeeded to a very large extent. He wanted to illuminate how much constitutional law has changed and what the vast implications are for Americans’ lives.

The book is a result of 30 years of experience in teaching, writing and litigation of constitutional law. Chemerinsky is a knowledgeable commentator on the issue considering he has argued such cases as Scheidler v. N.O.W., Tory v. Cochran, Van Orden v. Perry and Lockver v. Andrade in front of the United States Supreme Court.

Each chapter begins with a story that is geared toward a general audience. Chemerinsky wanted the book’s message to be accessible because he wanted to show how the effects of conservative government and lawmaking have lessened all of our rights.

“The Conservative Assault” has already received positive reviews from the Los Angeles Times. “I am very pleased,” Chemerinsky said.

Of all his books, this one has great significance for Chemerinsky. “This book is most special to me because it explains what I care most about and what I fought most for,” he said. “I wanted it to be accessible to a wide audience because it’s important to see how law affects people.”