Paranormal Activity 2

On Oct. 16, 2009, audiences around the country raved about the phenomenon that is “Paranormal Activity.” The hype around “Paranormal Activity” was through the roof; everyone wanted to see this film. Often dubbed the scariest movie ever, “Paranormal Activity” did a fantastic job at scaring the pants off of people.

Its Halloween season again and only one year later, and “Paranormal Activity 2” hits theaters across the country. Like its predecessor, Paranormal Activity 2 does not fail in its attempts to scare you. You may think you are tough as nails, but “Paranormal Activity 2” will eventually make you jump out of your seat in fright.

Unlike the first movie, which was directed and written by Oren Peli, Paranormal Activity 2 was directed by Tod Williams and written by Michael R. Perry. Tod Williams, the man behind the film “The Door in the Floor,” does a great job directing the movie. This film, unlike the first, uses security cameras positioned around the house giving more depth to the movie, which gives the audience more to observe.

Before you set out and watch “Paranormal Activity 2” it is highly recommended that you watch or re-watch the first movie. “Paranormal Activity 2” is a sequel and a prequel wrapped up in a nice frightening bundle.

The first film focused on a young couple whose California house is haunted by a demon. The insensitive and often humorous boyfriend videotapes everything in hopes of both proof and amusement. The sequel is also set in California. However this film focuses on a family of four, their housekeeper/nanny and their very perceptive dog.

Kristi (Sprague Grayden) and Dan (Brian Bolden) have a baby boy named Hunter and a teenager, Ally (Molly Ephraim), from Dan’s first marriage. Kristi is the sister of Katie (Katie Featherston), who starred in the first “Paranormal Activity.”

Like the first, “Paranormal Activity 2” is presented as found footage. The movie starts off with Dan and Kristi bringing home their newborn baby boy. After what the family thinks is a break-in, Dan hires a security company to install cameras throughout the house. These surveillance views are the audience’s gateway into all the spooky happenings with in the house.

The film cleverly begins 60 days before the death of Micah and spans after his death as well. The first night, suspicious activity begins, with the pool light flickering and simple movements of objects. Soon pots begin to fall seemingly of their own accord in the kitchen, causing quite a stir and terror. Hunter, the baby boy, seems to be tormented in his sleep by loud banging sounds, cold temperature and a figure only the boy can see. The family, along with their hired nanny, Martine, and their dog, Abby, begins to suspect that they are not alone in the house. The rest of the film is filled with tons of jumpy, scary, creepy and informative moments.

The climax of the film is the best part. It has you at the end of seat and jumping every other minute. Without giving away the story and the “OMG” moments, let’s just say the climax of this film is an adrenaline rush.

What made the movie so great was the fact that every bam, pop or crash was new and unsuspected. Going in to “Paranormal Activity 2,” you are already expecting these moments to happen and this makes the movie a little predicable. However, the film does its job in scaring you with the shocking moments and they differ from the first film giving you a new sense of fright.

The main problem is that the writing in this movie is absolutely horrible. The dialogue is too obviously scripted and it takes away from the “reality” factor of the film. The acting is great though; the characters do a good job at making you believe their fear. Luckily, most people watching the movie aren’t here for great dialogue, they’re here to be scared.

“Paranormal Activity 2” definitely delivered; it was everything people expected. It’s jumpy, it’s scary, it’s funny, and it’s thrilling to watch. It’s Halloween time and “Paranormal Activity 2” is a must see movie. Even thought the dialogue was not that great and the plot was a little predictable the movie does its job and gives you the scare that we have come to love. Everyone needs to see “Paranormal Activity 2,” it will be the talk of the town and you don’t want to miss out.

Rating: 4.5 out of 5