125
Brian Kim | Photography Intern

UC Irvine 0 UC Davis 3

After a horrendous trip to San Luis Obispo and Santa Barbara, the Lady Anteaters entered Friday night’s match on a five-game losing streak. Unfortunately, things continued to go south for the ’Eaters against the Aggies of UC Davis, losing in three sets: 15-25, 20-25 and 22-25.

“The fight that they showed at the end of game three and most of game two shows that we are not going to die, we are not going to quit,” assistant coach Ben Bodipo-Memba said. “We have to find a way to start stronger, we have to start faster and with a sense of urgency.”

Kari Pestolesi and freshman middle blocker Shannon Flemming recorded a team high of eight kills, while setter Mary Carls dished out 24 assists in the losing effort.

UCI opened up the first set with a lackluster performance. They recorded nine kills in the opening set and only managed to take 15 points. The Anteaters sported a .139 percentage, while their defense did not play any better, allowing Davis to covert .351 of their killing opportunities.

The Anteaters awoke in the second set, increasing their hitting percentage to .220 and the number of kills to 14. But these efforts fell short as the Anteaters went down 2-0.

UC Irvine 0 Pacific 3

Losing can become a habit if not corrected. And after dropping Friday night’s match against UC Davis, the Anteaters lost yet another game. The Pacific Tigers swept UC Irvine in three sets: 20-25, 22-25 and 16-25.

Pestolesi led the team with 10 kills, Juliane Piggott added another nine and Carls handed out 26 assists.

Despite losing in three sets, the ’Eaters played a lot better than they did the night before. Against the Aggies, the Anteaters never let in any of the three sets and they managed to tie the score only once. The ’Eaters showed some improvement, as the score was tied at 24 on separate occasions and the lead shifted nine times.

“We talked about taking pride in the game, pride in why you are here at UCI, representing your school and what legacy you want to leave,” Bodipo-Memba said.

In the first two sets, the Anteaters did not look like a 5-19 team, as they went point for point with the Tigers. But nine attack errors in the first set and seven in the second, did not the help UCI’s cause. UCI held Pacific to a .073 hitting percentage, but the Anteaters shot themselves in the foot with nine attack errors.

After battling tough in the first two sets, the Lady Anteaters ran out of steam in the last set as they only scored 16 points on a .062 hitting percentage.

With the loss, the Anteaters fell to 1-10 in conference play and 5-19 overall. UCI is currently on a seven-game losing streak and have lost 13 out of their last 14.