News In Brief

Professor Miles Corwin Walks the Mean Streets in “Kind of Blue”

After spending 20 years as a crime reporter at the Los Angeles Times, UC Irvine literary journalism professor Miles Corwin has made his first foray into the world of fiction with the publication of his crime novel “Kind of Blue.”

Although the fast-paced and exciting world of crime reporting is appealing, the human dramas that unfold both in the court-room and on the streets are what attract Professor Corwin to the field. Rather than focus on the violence, he sees crime as a way to better understand society.

Transitioning from non-fiction to fiction allowed Corwin a degree of freedom unavailable to journalists, but in order to tap into that freedom to write unconstrained by journalistic conventions, he had to learn a new set of writing skills. After eight rewrites, he began to adjust to fiction writing.

After coming to UCI in 2007, Corwin has become an indispensible member of the journalism department, combining his extensive reporting experience with writing prowess.

Professor Corwin will have book signings in Orange County to promote “Kind of Blue” on Friday, Nov. 12, 5-7 p.m. at Book Carnival, 348 South Tustin St., Orange; and Saturday, Nov. 20, 10:30 a.m.-noon at Mystery Ink, Goldenwest Plaza, 7176 Edinger Avenue, Huntington Beach.

UCI Bookstore Begins Author Series with Two Special Guests

UC Irvine Bookstore hosted alumni novelists Aimee Bender and Glen David Gold on Thursday, Nov. 3 as the first installment of the UCI Bookstore Author Series.

Bender read from her best-selling novel “The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake,” which has been met with critical acclaim and popular success. The novel follows Rose Edelstein, who can taste the emotions of the people who prepare her food, notably in her mother’s lemon cake. Bender graduated from UCI’s MFA program in 1998 from Programs in Writing, specializing in fiction.

Gold, author of best-seller “Carter Beats the Devil,” also read from his latest work “Sunnyside” and signed copies for attendees. “Sunnyside” opens in 1916 with the mythic figure of Charlie Chaplain being sighted in more than 800 places simultaneously, unfolding a tale of dark comedy and tragedy. Gold received his MFA at UCI in creative writing, and is married to Alice Sebold, also a graduate of UCI’s MFA program, and author of “The Lovely Bones.”

The UCI Author Series will host its next event on Nov. 9. featuring T. Jefferson Parker, a UCI alumnus, with poets Kim Dower and Kate Gale. Dower will read from her collection of poems, “Air Kissing on Mars,” and Gale from her book “Mating Season.”