Weezer: “Death to False Metal”

American alternative rock band Weezer keeps on pumping out new material. Their ninth album and first compilation album “Death to False Metal” was released on Nov. 2, 2010, after the band’s previous album “Hurley” was released on Sept. 10, 2010.

Weezer has had a wonderful and lengthy career that has thrived over the past 17 years. Their debut album, self-titled “Weezer,” also known as “The Blue Album,” was praised by both critics and listeners, and Weezer has had a great career since.

They are known for many singles, including “Buddy Holly,” “Island in the Sun,” “Undone-The Sweater Song” and “Beverly Hills.” Although they are considered an alternative rock band, their music could truly be placed in a variety of categories.

They are tied to being a strict alternative band, but they have had times where their music was more like pop, indie and even emo. They are musical chameleons, and they are very successful in whichever genre they happen to choose.

“Death to False Metal” is radically different from any of their previous albums for one main reason. It contains the songs they have written, recorded, but never released from the band’s earliest days in 1993 to the present day. Lead guitarist Brian Bell announced that the band would be attempting the project on KROQ in 2008. At that time, the album was going to be titled “Odds and Ends.”

The previous title would have been a much more appropriate title for the album. The songs should have faded out of Weezer’s repertoire when the producers made the decision to not put them on any of the previous albums.

In general, the songs are not cohesive, annoyingly repetitive, terribly sung, poorly played and overall inconsistent with the level of quality in the band’s previous work.

The band’s instrumental skill itself lacks technique and basic musicianship, with the result being reminiscent of a beginning band. Even though this album has a span of 17 years worth of music, the songs are all weak and unable to stimulate interest.

Despite many of the album’s faults, it does have its share of good. The two best songs in particular are the opening and closing tracks, “Turning up the Radio” and “Un-break My Heart.”

Music teachers often tell their studious pupils, “The audience will only remember the first and last song of your performance.” Luckily, Weezer made a good decision regarding the prelude and finale.

“Turning up the Radio” is the strongest song of the album. It is upbeat, easy to listen to and just a decent song in general.

“Un-break my Heart” is a remake of Toni Braxton’s hit from 1996, but with an alternative rock edge. Somehow, Weezer was able to take this great famous hit and create it into a song a Weezer fan would expect the band to sing.

Something to consider is the overall growth of Weezer. They have gone through some pop-like albums as well as albums that are extremely dark. This album does show the growth of the band in that their music has fortunately gotten better over the years.

Releasing an album of unreleased music is usually for the hardcore fans, but in this case, it is just unnecessary. It really made Weezer look bad because it sounds so awful on everyone’s part that there is no one person to point fingers at and blame.

This album is Weezer trying to find itself back in its earlier days, but these songs were pointless to release to the public. This album leaves the musicians starved; too much of the album is so unappealing that anything good is completely overshadowed.

Other than the two previous tracks mentioned before, the songs are boring and plain. Most of the album is reminiscent of a generic SoCal beach band that a high school hired to play for the graduation barbeque. This is not a highlight in Weezer’s career, and it really is a waste of time for both the band and the listeners.

Rating: 1.5 out of 5