195
Nick Vu | Staff Photographer

The UCI Lady Anteaters finished their exhibition slate unbeaten after easily defeating the University of Redlands Bulldogs, winning 78-55.

The Anteaters started the first four minutes of the game with an 8-0 run, but Redlands had a run of their own, tying the game 12-12 midway into the first half.

Although UCI never trailed, the Bulldogs tied the score three times in the first half. UCI’s half-court defense forced the Bulldogs into 14 turnovers, and UCI converted 10 of those into 20 points in the first half.

The pressure from UCI’s traps produced 19 steals, six each by both Jazmyne White and Jacquelyn Marshall. The Bulldogs settled for outside shots, as they had no chances to score points in the paint, and they also had no fast break points.

Despite the Bulldogs out-rebounding the ’Eaters, UCI still led at the half 39-29. UCI started the second half like they did the first, but they didn’t allow Redlands to get within 14 points of their lead. The Anteaters held the Bulldogs to zero fastbreak points and only allowed 10 points in the paint. The ’Eaters’ tenacious defense allowed for easy opportunities on offense, as UCI scored 33 total points off turnovers. Three Lady Anteaters scored double digits with Smith-Williams dropping 16 points and 7 assists. Marshall and White both scored 20 points.

In the first exhibition game, UCI did not hit one 3-pointer. Against the Bulldogs, they made an adjustment, knocking down 30 percent of shots from downtown.

“[We] got to work on some different offenses and defenses,” Coach Molly Goodenbour said. ”[We] did a good job scoring without leading scorer Mikah [Maly-Karros], who is out sick.”
All of the freshmen got into the game; freshmen Marshall and Kelly Meggs both played over 30 minutes.

“I was definitely more aggressive this game compared to the last. I felt more comfortable because last week was my first game since high school,” said Marshall, who redshirted last year after transferring from University of San Diego. “We worked better as a team, knew our offenses a lot more than last week, we got some of the jitters out.”

The Anteaters will take their preseason momentum to El Paso, Texas, as UC Irvine opens up its regular season against UTEP on Nov. 13.