News In Brief

UCI’s Own Megan Braun is Named Rhodes Scholar

Former ASUCI President Megan Braun, who graduated last spring, is one of three California students named Rhodes Scholars this year.

The scholarship provides all expenses for two or three years of study at Oxford University. Stanford student Varun Sivaram and University of Chicago student John Scotti, from San Diego, will join Braun at Oxford.

Approximately 80 Rhodes Scholars are named each year.

UC Irvine Co- Hosts Benefit Tournament

UCI joined the University of Illinois, the University of Maryland, the University of Pittsburgh and the University of Texas in hosting the 16th annual 2K Sports Classic to benefit Coaches vs. Cancer on Nov. 8 and 10.

This tournament marked the beginning of the 2010-2011 NCAA Division I men’s basketball season. The five hosting schools were joined by College of Charleston, University of Illinois at Chicago, Louisiana Tech University, United States Naval Academy, University of Rhode Island, Seattle University and University of Toledo.

Coaches vs. Cancer began in 1993 as a joint project between the American Cancer Society and the National Association of Basketball Coaches. The tournament has raised more than $60 million.

Three of the previous nine NCAA champions began their championship seasons by playing in the 2K Sports Classic for the benefit of Coaches vs. Cancer.