Sports In Brief

Lady Anteaters Lose to New Mexico, Fresno State; Sign Recruit

The women’s basketball team fell to Fresno State on Nov. 20, 67-63. With the loss, UC Irvine moved to 0-3 on the season. Down 38-27 at the half, the Anteaters outplayed the Bulldogs in the second half by seven points, but their comeback attempt fell short.

Senior Jade Smith-Williams led the cause with 18 points and five assists in 39 minutes. Junior Mikah Maly-Karros totaled 17 points and collected six rebounds.

On Nov. 15, New Mexico defeated UCI 71-59. Maly-Karros recorded her first double-double of the season, bringing down 13 boards and scoring 22 points.

Coach Molly Goodenbour announced last week that the team signed Etiwanda High School forward Methlyn Onogomuho to a National Letter of Intent. As a junior at Etiwanda last year, she averaged seven points, seven rebounds and three steals.

Men’s Soccer Honored Despite NCAA Tournament Snubbing

After being excluded from the NCAA Tournament, UCI received uplifting news last week. Senior Amani Walker was named the Big West’s Co-Offensive Player of the Year and the all-conference first team.

Also being named to the first team were junior Miguel Ibarra and seniors Corey Attaway and Joel Bagby. Attaway earned honors from ESPN as well, being voted to their third-team Academic All-American squad.

Senior Spencer Thompson and junior Andrew Fontein were named to the All-Big West second team, while sophomore Everett Pitts and senior Gray Bailey received honorable mention.